Facebook v. Marinette Forum posts

Things that are of general interest.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Facebook v. Marinette Forum posts

Post by jralbert »

robalo220 wrote:I agree that FB has more photos about just boating and general "stuff". However this forum is horrible to post pics. ...I believe this forum could us an upgrade to allow posting of pics. Cheers!
Agree that it's not very easy to post photos but it's not "horrible", witness the number of pix already posted by ordinary, non-tekkie users. There was once upon a time a little primer for posting photos but I'm not able to locate it at the moment. This is a quick suggestion from recollection: post the topic. Then, re-open it and at the bottom there are places to click to add a photo.if it's very high resolution - multiple megabytes- that's too large and very unnecessary for this site. Before you post, make a smaller resolution copy of the photo you wish to post and use that one.

Hey, if I can do it, so can you. Hang in there while the site admin (Hellooo site admin) checks to see whether the phpbb people have a better solution.

UPDATE: Note that when you post, there's a box at the center bottom called Full Editor & Preview. Click on it. At the lower left, there's a tab for "Attachments". Click on that and it will open your computer's file system. Navigate to where you keep your photos and lick on the ones you wish to attach to your message. The rest is intuitive. But I would strongly suggest that before you click on a photo, you will have re-sized to a lower resolution. There are attachment file size limits - I don't know the limit.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

jralbert wrote: Hey, if I can do it, so can you. Hang in there while the site admin (Hellooo site admin) checks to see whether the phpbb people have a better solution.

UPDATE: Note that when you post, there's a box at the center bottom called Full Editor & Preview. Click on it. At the lower left, there's a tab for "Attachments". Click on that and it will open your computer's file system. Navigate to where you keep your photos and lick on the ones you wish to attach to your message. The rest is intuitive. But I would strongly suggest that before you click on a photo, you will have re-sized to a lower resolution. There are attachment file size limits - I don't know the limit.

The reason I mentioned it was horrible is I tried to post a pic of my M along with my signature. It said the pic was too big. I researched how to downsize the image. I kept downsizing below what the allowed limit was to no avail. I even made it half the size allowable with still no luck. Very frustrating. And I am fairly tech savvy. Good info about pics with posting. I'll give it a try....
Here is the downsized pic of my M
Here is the downsized pic of my M
IMG_1970 2.jpeg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
Seemed to work. Good advice. Still can't add it to my signature though
John

1991 41 Marquis Convertible "Running on Water"
454 Crusaders
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

test pic post 54 kb image. This is a circa 1994/95 shot of Charlie B. 6.4 kb (what you noted) is too small. I don't know what site wants except I'd not try to post anything over 100 or 200 kb. Again, this is what 54 kb looks like...note that when you click on it, you will see larger image more closeup.
Attachments
Charlie B.JPG
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Hey - a light bulb just turned on...are you trying to make your boat's image appear as part of your signature? If so - I'm not certain- that might be called an avatar. Go to the top left part of this page. Click on FAQ and there is info on avatars among the many faq's. If that's not what you're trying to do, never mind.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

jralbert wrote:Hey - a light bulb just turned on...are you trying to make your boat's image appear as part of your signature? If so - I'm not certain- that might be called an avatar. Go to the top left part of this page. Click on FAQ and there is info on avatars among the many faq's. If that's not what you're trying to do, never mind.
Yes that is what I was trying to do. Just didn't call it correctly. I'll try and figure it out. Thanks! Sorry for the extra pic. I'm still testing what I can post. Thanks again for the help!

Edit. I did do what it asked about setting the Avitar. I kept shrinking the pic as I mentioned before with no luck. It was smaller than what was listed and it still didn't work. Oh well. Guess I'll go without. My original thought process was other sites are much easier to post pics, etc, etc. Again sometimes it is helpful to post pics when discussing how to repair a head or rewiring a helm, or just whatever. At least I now know how to post pics. Thanks for the help
IMG_3433.jpeg
John

1991 41 Marquis Convertible "Running on Water"
454 Crusaders
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Oh...now your posts make sense (to me). I never checked the avatar feature and just did so. It wants an image 90x90 pixels. I think you can do this is Photoshop. Call up a New Image and set the dimensions accordingly including total size of 6 kb (wow that is tiny). See if that works. Then go into the UCP (USer Control Panel) . profile tab and mess with the Avatar stuff. Good luck. It would be nice if you can do it. I like graphics even though I don't use one myself. Others on the board have and I'm surprised they haven't chimed in to assist you. :(
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD