Facebook v. Marinette Forum posts

Things that are of general interest.
jralbert
Site Admin

Facebook v. Marinette Forum posts

Post by jralbert »

It's interesting that the number of M posts on a Facebook page seem to be growing versus the forum here. It would seem to me that though this is an older method of posting, it's better organized for subject material.

I suspect one big advantage for using FB is the ease of posting visuals - photos, graphs, videos. But it's all one long thread and less organized.

Is there something to be done to update the forum to keep it front and center?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Facebook v. Marinette Forum posts

Post by Busia »

Noticed that awhile ago. Seems to be quality vs. quantity. Often I advise people to look on this site for the correct info, sometimes I see unbelievably wrong info on the Facebook group. I think most people are on Facebook already, so that's what they use.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Seeing the political games being played by Facebook and others, I'm happy to remain here.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Fastjeff wrote:Seeing the political games being played by Facebook and others, I'm happy to remain here.
This site is much better organized. And the advice is usually solid. But as I noted, users frequently complain they can't post images (and when they do, they are often hard to read). One other advantage FB has is that it unquestionably gets more eyeballs. I'm not aware of "political games" with boating and other non current event topic posts. I also post a fair bit on music and the only games there is whether the singer is on key.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Facebook is a disheveled wasteland of armchair quarterbacks.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Well put!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

I like using both. I often see better information here, but there is undoubtedly more users on Facebook. Plus I like seeing the pics of the boats from all over, which is usually Facebook related. I am starting to even see a lot more boats for-sale solely on Facebook, rather than posting to craigslist and such.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Staying here..... no real archive on FB and do not like all the ads etc.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

I agree that FB has more photos about just boating and general "stuff". However this forum is horrible to post pics. Jeff mentioned how to use a vacuum hose to create an "O" ring with a wire glued to it. Im sorry but I'm a visual learner and pics help a bunch for me. Many of the posts don't need pics such as describing how to tune an engine, etc. My opinion is I like looking at both forums. I get helpful info from both. I believe this forum could us an upgrade to allow posting of pics. I have tried multiple times to post a pic of my 41 Marquis Convertible with absolutely no success. No big deal as you guys have seen Big M's before. Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers!
John

1991 41 Marquis Convertible "Running on Water"
454 Crusaders
louism58
Tin star

Post by louism58 »

Hi All,

I use both, great here for researching boat details and getting advice but pictures are way better there.

Louis