New member with questions, Sedan 32

Things that are of general interest.
edwoerle
New poster

New member with questions, Sedan 32

Post by edwoerle »

I'm a typical 78 year old (bad knee, bad teeth, bad breath) considering getting back into boating. It's been 25 years since I last piloted a boat, and never a twin screw or this large.

The boat I'm looking at is in really good shape, one engine low time the other about 1400 hours. No genset. Stripped and painted in '13, new batteries and charger last year.

First, am I fooling myself that I can safely single hand this size boat? Most of my time aboard will be alone. Not even a cat. I would be running the Tennessee river and Tenn-Tom waterway.

Secondly, do I need to consider installing a genset, and if so, what would you suggest? I'm not sure of the available dimensions, but there was a gen previously installed. How much trouble would it be wiring everything up?

Lastly, a probably dumb question; I'm a pilot, and use a program called Forefrlight on my iPad for navigation. Is there anything like that for boating?

Thanks in advance for your interest and help.

Ed
PS---I know, I didn't include a signature. As soon as I figure it out I'll include one.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: New member with questions, Sedan 32

Post by GB49 »

In my opinion handling a 32 with the wind on the beam can be tough, and doing it by yourself makes it even more difficult. Maybe things are different on the river but on the Great Lakes its always windy and it always seems to be pushing me off the dock.
If you end up using the boat as a cottage tied to the dock you will love it. If you plan to travel, you might want to look for something with more hull in the water and less height.

I would think a generator would be handy if you plan on being on the hook for days at a time. I have always liked Cummins Onan. Be careful where you mount the generator. Most install between the engines but makes engine service difficult.

There is software for ipad as long as you have GPS antenna connected to it. Cant think if the name but I know a few on this forum use tablets/ipads for nav.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

If you run A/C, on the hook, you will need a big generator. I took mine out because it was too problematic, difficult to service, and made servicing the twin 318's difficult. (ONan 6.5K) My age (70) means being a contortionist to work on engines is not good.

I carry around my Honda 2000 generator. It won't run the A/C but everything else if used independently. (like not hot water and microwave at same time).
It is relatively quiet, portable, and good on gas. Higher wattage portable generators are heavy, and harder to store.

As far as driving the boat? I drove mine down the Tombigbee last year after I bought it. I love my wife, but she is pretty useless as a helper, so I sort of drive and dock it solo anyway. The twin engines are way easier than any single screw setup to maneuver. For some guys, it is common sense and comes naturally, with a little practice. . Others XXXXX, shouldn't own a boat.

I use it now on the larger Florida bays and being light as it is, it is sort of a bobber, not a cutter. But we love her.
Best Wishes,
my 2 cents,
Capn Gary
Milton,Fl
32FB twin 318's (1900+hrs)
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Two more cents. Boats with twins are easier to handle around the dock- unless one engine craps out in which case you could be talking somewhere between just a tough time and nightmare. Genset very useful if you need it as previously described. Some new ones are small and will fit aft of the engines, just above the keel, under the rear deck hatch. That leave space for you to work between engines. Get the smallest one that meets your needs (AC and fridge and ?)

You're 78, single-handed? Always wear a life jacket. I can repeat that if necessary.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I salute your courage, for I gave up my 32 footer when I was far younger than you are now. My mind couldn't keep up one day and I panicked, whacking the pilings and the boat in the next slip. The boat was sold that same year.

Twins are MUCH easier to maneuver unless (as stated above) one engine drops out. Then you have TROUBLE.

Good luck, and I salute you.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
edwoerle
New poster

Post by edwoerle »

Jeff...
Thanks for the comments and the candor.

Everybody has bad days and experiences, even the young. I know several people who had major 'brain farts' and put wrinkles in their cars, boats and even airplanes. Some, like you, decided to hand over the keys. Others looked in the mirror, gave themselves a good talking to and resumed what they loved doing. Some of them shouldn't have.

As we age we slow down; physically, mentally. When is the right time to retire? I don't know. But for now I feel comfortable. I've been flying for sixty-one years, never bent an airplane. Could I wreck one tomorrow? You betcha! Only one way to find out.

As long as I continue to enjoy doing things, and do them safely, I'll continue. When the time comes to hang it up I hope I'm smart enough to see the signs, and even smarter to do the right thing.

You must really love the life on the water, or you wouldn't still be here giving us neophytes guidance. I know you will have a word or two for me as I progress.

Thanks again for being involved.

Stay warm, stay safe, and for now stay separated.

Ed
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

OK, I'll jump in. 73 years young. have twin 32 and handle it alone on Tennessee River. Don't see a need for generator because I always dock where there is power. I think you will do fine and enjoy the life boat life has to offer. I use navonics software on my I pad . I have a friend that has a 28 with single engine and he does fine docking by himself. Jump in Life is fine.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Afternoon Ed,
Welcome to the forum.... :D

Couple of things...
- it was mentioned that a BigM can be a little problematic in a crosswind, that's true no matter where you are. I boat on the Ohio River southwest of Cincinnati, Oh. Our boats are much lighter than a glass boat which is fantastic when it comes to fuel economy. In a cross / quartering wind, less so. If you're docking by backing in, I'd strongly suggest doing so from the lower station, with fenders out on both the port and starboard sides (3 each, minimum). Docking from an upper station (such as on our 32' Sedan Bridge (SB) with 2 engines is pretty easy to do. With the Admiral manning the dock lines, this is the preferable way to do things, for us. As a single handed process, the backing in part will still be doable. But with any wind, climbing down a ladder, CAREFULLY, means the wind will have plenty of time to play havoc with your boat's positioning in the slip. And if it's a double slip, you have to add the care needed to avoid bumping into your slip mate's boat.

I don't say this to get you to reconsider your intent, just giving you the possible scenarios you will likely be presented with. I DO HOPE you get yourself into boating, and hopefully :D it'll be in a BigM!!!

As for a genset. We had an Onan 6.5Kw genny on our boat when we bought it. It finally gave up the ghost and we purchased a used 7Kw Westerbeke from a guy who presented himself as a Westerbeke genny rebuilder. He was out in Arizona. And I won't ever buy from him again. He had a lot of negative write ups. My experience and that of others was hideous delays in answering emails and not returning phone calls. And he always found a reason to cut a phone call short. The product he provided was suspect as well. When a "rebuilt" genny showed up, I did some checking, out of curiosity as I waited for my help to arrive to load it on the boat. I pulled the anode (easy to do...) and found it to be totally deteriorated! Now, if a guy's a "rebuilder" of gen sets,had the unit for over 3 months, and knew I was antsy to get it, wouldn't it make sense to ship the unit with a new anode in place? As I said, he's not someone I'd recommend.

As far as a recommendation, I like the Westerbeke brand. They can be expensive to get parts for, but then it seemed (when we investigated getting our Onan serviced) that any gen set will cost. One recommendation I would put forth: What's the availability of service professionals in your area? Can you find a Westerbeke mechanic nearby? An Onan mechanic? Kohler mech? This would be a good time to check into that as you'll eventually need someone to service the genny at some point, though you may want to undertake easier (?) tasks yourself (oil changes, impeller checks/changeout, etc). I do know there was a guy here on the forum that was able to mount a Westerbeke genny on the battery shelf, forward of the engines. To do so afforded him plenty of room between the engines.

Don't be overly concerned about age. You were an airplane driver for a long time. As a former AA (non-pilot) guy, I know you can handle a boat! At an average cruisin' speed of 10-15 MPH, you'll have ample time to make decisions that driving a ??? didn't afford you. Not to say there aren't some possible 'pucker factor' scenarios that might arise, but with some planning, foresight, and judicious caution, those can be normally handled fine.

The folks here on the forum are a wealth of knowledge on our boats!!! Have a question? Just ask!

Good luck to you!
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
edwoerle
New poster

Post by edwoerle »

You haven't lived until you attempt to land a 1400 pound airplane in a 12 kt direct crosswind with gusts to 22. At dusk. One of the things you train for. No different for boating, is it? You train for the normal happenings, but give special impetus to those things that can/will bite you in the butt. Most of us will never get the opportunity to combine the two, aviation and boating (think Airbus glider into the Hudson River). But training, practice and concentration will usually pull you through. Okay, I'll throw in a bit of luck, too. But the training and experience were the things that turned this tragedy into a fairy tale.

Thanks for all your input. Greatly appreciated.

Ed
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

ED,
Hell,I'm the "young guy" at 58 and I use my boat solo all the time. My wife has the ski boat to handle herself. We are on a large TN lake and hardly deal with the weather most see. The wind is always a concern. I also have a new Westerbeke 6 KW gen set that cost me more than the boat is worth probably. We use our 32 as a camper on the water so having full power at anchor is a huge plus. They will have to peel me out of the boat when it is time for that. The best advice I ever got for handling a boat around docks is "never get going faster than you are prepared to hit something" Learning how to use the prop walk to park is key, it doesn't take long to figure out. Come enjoy the water with us,lots of helpful people on here!
Went from inboard 20' ski boats to 32' and had no trouble adapting, neither will you, twins are fun !
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.