whistle noise when shifting in gear

Things that are of general interest.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: whistle noise when shifting in gear

Post by Busia »

Make sure you have plenty of good fluid in it. As noted, hot, shut it down and check right away. Sounds like low fluid or slipping clutch discs.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

fluid is checked and good. didn't check filter, but if clutch discs slip, what can I do about that.?
tjcimba

Post by tjcimba »

Hi again,

like theory of screen needing cleaning in tranny, but you guys are saying been there and no screen right?

thought same along transmission being source of noise. Actually went as far as making a contact to a fellow in Michigan that services the Borg Warner and has the dynamometer, he was helpful in that he said if I drove around the the lake (michigan) to his side and arrive early he would perform service and send me back to Milwaukee later that day, However,, he never heard of the noise i described coming from the tranny. he suggested change fluid and see, did and no improvement.. taking out the tranny for road trip no done.

The mechanic in the bilge ride (mentioned earlier reply) had him listen and check tranny fluid level too, no help.

Hate that she whines, glad she runs. any thoughts welcomed

would love to solve this one
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I have a whine too, but mine is from the engine. I would tie the boat to the dock securely, then you can run one engine at a time and put it in gear and pull against the dock. You can climb down and check the transmission by yourself. Run it in forward and reverse until the transmission is warm. Shut the engine off and check the fluid level immediately. I use a flashlight to see the oil on the dipstick. When you have the right amount in you can let it sit and drain back from the oil cooler. When it's cold you can file a little mark on the dipstick at that level for oil cold, engine off. ( use the corner of a file and wipe the dipstick clean when you are done ) It will be above the full mark.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

The PO, who was a motor guy, (now deceased), left some ATF+4 synthetic transmission fluid on the boat. Somewhere I thought I read that Chrysler transmissions use that. So that's what I put in the things. Now I see Dextron III should have been what is used. Does it matter? I obviously am not a 'motor guy' and am learning the hard way.

By the way, changing the stuffing box packings for the first time was a blast. UG

I just ran boat 7 + hours. Now whistle noise is only on one engine. Go figure?
Capn Gary
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Good. I still think it's aeration of the oil do to having a bit less in there than needed.

Hope it goes away as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

There are flow valves in the Velvet similar to an automotive transmission. All the reverse gear does is hydro pressure forces a band on a cone. If the valves to not seat properly (dirty or low oil) it can cause the whistle you are referring to.
As I recall there may be an adjustment I would need to look up the trans manual they are on line.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I have the manual in both pdf and doc forms, happy to relay it to anyone who wants to read it. Can't post because files are too large for the board
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

update.....
with engines off, transmissions in neutral, I can grab one shaft and rotate it easily. The other one has resistance, and a 'squishing' noise. I have to use a screwdriver levering the bolts to rotate it. Could there be something stuck in the shaft log?, could poor shaft alignment cause this. When I repacked the shaft, it was very hard to start threading the holding part of the shaft coupler back on, on that side only. (can't think of right terminology).
I also notice, when docking, the lower rpm's don't have to enough 'umph', and the resistance in the shaft stalls the engine. But I can run the boat OK once enough rpm's power the shaft enough to run.
??
thanks again in advance for all of your thoughts