Steering cable frozen

Things that are of general interest.
GloryDays

Steering cable frozen

Post by GloryDays »

Wondering if anyone has had any luck freeing up steering cables? I’ve seen some YouTube videos but the weren’t for Marinettes or Mark II steering boxes and cables. Looks like these cables are no longer available so any help would be greatly appreciated

Restoring a 32’ 79 Sedan would like to be able to steer it when I’m done! Lol

Thanks,
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Steering cable frozen

Post by Busia »

You could try to make a fitting so you can pump some solvent or light oil down the cable. I would pump from the top down. You might be able to use some small hose or tubing from the pump to the steering cable, with hose clamps on each end to seal the ends. I use a small oil can that pumps for similar jobs. Try Automatic transmission fluid, it is a light oil. A lot of us have had to replace the steering system. In mine I had Steermaster, made in Detroit. No longer in business, some parts available from GlennL. I just converted to a name brand outboard steering system. On the shelf, and about $100 . I did have to make an adapter for the cable end. Might have a picture I can add. Good luck--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

May be overkill but if you can make the fitting mentioned above and fit it to the high point on the high point you try the following.
Note - it's extensive cuz it sounds like there's a likelihood of rust/corrosion inside the cable.
1. Attach fitting to top point
2. Place drip cans at lower points to catch drips.
3. Connect can of Rust Buster (RB) to fitting.
4. Try squirting RB into line.
5. Try working RB into line but wud be very careful as you don't know the level of deterioration of the interior cable.
6. Keep at it, freeing up cable little by little till free.
7. Once free, hook up can of transmission fluid and use it under pressure to flush crud.out of lines.
8. Blow lines clear with compressed air.
9. Finish with forcing grease lubricant through line (until it appears at far end(s) of cable.
That should provide a long period of service. However, if the interior cable's stuck because a strand or more broke from main section, you might want to go with replacing now rather than having it break totally while you're underway.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
GloryDays

Post by GloryDays »

Pictures would be great. Right now i have a syringe with Marvin's Miracle oil and a slow drip going. Converting to new off the shelf is and option what did you use?
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

First thing, are you sure it is the cable. Most of the time, if the rudders have not been updated to stainless, it is the rudders not the cable.

If it is the steering cable, don't waste your time trying to free it up. It will only prolong the inevitable. The entire steering assemblies ( new helm, cable, brackets, etc.) are not horribly expensive and will make the boat steer so much better. If you have stuff tore apart working on the boat, now is the time to replace it anyway.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
GloryDays

Post by GloryDays »

Rudders move freely. Both steering boxes are good also. Not against upgrading but trying to keep cost down. What is good source for upgrading? Should I have to upgrade both helms?
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

On dirt bikes, we used compressed air to force lubricant through the cable. Elevate that end, clamp a rubber hose to the cable, pour thin oil in the hose, then clamp an air fitting to it and add as much pressure as it will take. Let it sit a few hours, adding pressure as needed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Hi I replaced my cable steering with a seastar hydraulic system on both helms a while back and probably have the cables and boxes in the shop somewhere. The boat and the parts are in Florida and I am in Iowa but plan to head south in the next couple of days. PM me if your interested in these parts thanks Harry.
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
GloryDays

Post by GloryDays »

Harryb wrote:Hi I replaced my cable steering with a seastar hydraulic system on both helms a while back and probably have the cables and boxes in the shop somewhere. The boat and the parts are in Florida and I am in Iowa but plan to head south in the next couple of days. PM me if your interested in these parts thanks Harry.

That would be awesome. I’m not sure how to PM yet but I’ll figure it out
pbaker32s

Post by pbaker32s »

5B098F0F-C8CE-478C-9D7E-E195F6A6808A.jpeg
98DC2864-A99E-40EA-9D6B-04A55D9BD8DC.jpeg
I have saved many cables with this homemade cable Luber ,you should be able to see in the picture what you would need from the hardware store .you clamp the hose onto the cable end ,I usually put sea foam or kroil in the Reservoir first pass and put air pressure to it .I usually start out low make sure I have no leaks and then steadily increase the pressure. I have had up to 90 psi forcing sludge thru the cables,sometimes it takes a while to work all the degreaser or oil through the cable .I have Had some take all day.usually the last pass I put synthetic transmission oil through it. I have taken a seized cable to smooth as butter. Never put grease on the cables. It’s easier with the cable off, If that is not possible make sure you have a trash bag or something under the opposite end to not make a mess