knowledge and advice sought on Seacrest houseboat performance/capability

Things that are of general interest.
Aquaholic
Tin star

knowledge and advice sought on Seacrest houseboat performance/capability

Post by Aquaholic »

Good Day All! So....in the spirit of my mind going all over the place I would like to switch from my thread asking for advice on re powering to outboards on our 32 Sedan to a different topic. I have located what I believe to be a nice boat at a fair price that MIGHT be more appropriate for my wife and I and how we utilize our boat.
I have located a 1973 41' Seacrest That was re powered with twin diesels (100 HP Iveco Marine Diesels). This boat size, layout, and amenities better meet what we have talked about in looking for our "forever boat" (if there is such a thing) :D
I am looking for input from folks on here who may have experience operating a Seacrest Houseboat Hull. In looking at the pictures of the houseboats the hull really does not look that different then the cruisers/sedans. There is actually substantially more of a 'flare' at the top that would seem to catch/divert spray when in rougher water possibly?? Has anyone operated a Marinette houseboat in rougher waters? Ie. The great lakes. Supposedly this vessel that I have my eyes on originally was owned and operated in the Virginia/Chesapeake Bay area.
We are definately needing a boat that will handle some rougher waters (2'-3' seas regularly with the potential for 4' or more occasionally). Thoughts?
I would have to believe that with the twin 100 HP diesels I could potentially double my fuel mileage at lower speeds/rpms. I don't need to cruise fast.
Anyone with first hand experience with these boats that can chime in would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: knowledge and advice sought on Seacrest houseboat performance/capability

Post by Fastjeff »

If you could get a hold of Sorry Dog (who owned one) he could tell you all you want to know--and more!

Anyone know if he's still around, or how to contact him?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I see him on facebook from time to time.
nice guy.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Erik,
There is one at the Marietta boat club that used to be at our dock. With twin 318 Chryslers the owner said it would hit 30 MPH. I witnessed him cruising along the river at a pretty good clip. That boat is probably on the hard at the boat club.
I've heard that the hull is somewhat similar to the 37, 39, 41 cruisers. I cannot confirm that.
The Secrest bow is not flared like the 39 cruiser and the bow chin is shorter and lower to the water. The bow tip is about half as high as 39. I don't think that would be great for big waves. Houseboats like Bluewater coastal cruiser have a higher bow and seem better equipped for big water.

Is that boat still listed with POP Yachts?
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

yes John, this boat is still listed on POP Yachts.
i would be interested to speak with Sorry Dog to get his insights if I could find him.
Thanks for the input. The more I have considered this the more i feel that it likely would not be my best move on a couple of levels. Always thinking though! lol
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Carl Pegel is Sorry Dog Send him a message on FB he usually replies in ALL CAPS due to, as I hate say, age.(very shaky hands)

His boat was a cat for the record. I"ve been on a few Houseboat models they run good for what they are , but they are not a cruiser by any means.
Still great boats, just a different layout.
-Scott
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Sorry Dog's cat is the post I just linked to last week, still for sale in Chesapeake Bay. I have Carl's email address.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio