Questions about desire to re power a 32 Sedan with outboards

Things that are of general interest.
Aquaholic
Tin star

Questions about desire to re power a 32 Sedan with outboards

Post by Aquaholic »

There is currently a post on the Marinette FB page regarding re powering M's with outboard/s. I have seen this topic before on both here and the FB page. I thought I would pose there here on the forum because I know that there are some on here that are not on FB and/or are more knowledgeable.

I am seriously interested in this idea but have many questions I'm hoping others with more experience/knowledge can help me with. I have considered the outboard option OFTEN; each time this topic reappears on here or the FB page.

I personally see many HUGE benefits to the outboard option for the way that my wife and I utilize our 1989 32 Sedan. It has brought us through over 5K miles of river and Gulf cruising over the past 4 years with the original twin 318's. Me, not being very mechanically inclined, have managed to learn the basics that i needed to keep them running. However, the advantages that MIGHT be addressed (fuel efficiency, noise, smells, less CO2 risk??, longer range, reliability, etc.) all sound VERY appealing to me. We put A LOT of miles and gas into our baby during the 4-5 week period that we are Looping and I feel like the benefits could be more than intriguing for us and the way that we utilize our boat. Plus, an added bonus for us is that we also have a 1973 single Express that we utilize a home in Ohio on the Muskingum and Ohio Rivers; If we re powered the 32 Sedan I could potentially utilize one of the newer (1989) 318's and have it rebuilt for eventual repower of our Express :o

So..... Some questions:

1) Has anyone actually refitted to outboards on a 32 Sedan? I have seen several who have done this on 28 footers, but not actually seen it on a 32.

2) If someone has done this on a 32, what motor/motors did you choose? I have debated between a larger single outboard (maybe 250hp) with the addition of bow and stern thrusters -vs- smaller dual outboards (somewhere between 60's - 100's).

3) Does anyone know of a marina/person/resource in the Florida/Georgia/Carolinas area who could handle accomplishing a project like this well/right? I, unfortunately don't have the experience/knowledge/time to accomplish this retro on my own. Even if I did, the boat I am talking about is currently stored on the hard in Southern Florida (Glades Boat Storage inland of Ft Myers) awaiting our return for leg 4 of our journeys this coming Spring/Summer.

Any recommendations would be appreciated and helpful.
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Questions about desire to re power a 32 Sedan with outboards

Post by TinLizzy »

The total cost of such an endeavor would likely cost more than the entire boat. I'm not saying not to do it, just one of the many considerations you will need to address. A new 250 outboard is going to run you roughly $17-20k, Buying a bracket to handle that outboard is going to cost a few thousand I would guess, but I don't have any hard figures. Throw in the labor to have someone remove the main engines, install the engine bracket, and install the outboard with all new wiring, fuel lines, etc., not to mention that you will more than likely need hydraulic steering if the boat doesn't already have it, will likely run a few thousand dollars. Do you run the boat on plane, or more of a troller speed? A single outboard( even a 250 hp ) will likely be working fairly hard to keep the boat on plane, IMO. As with all things, I can envision this snowballing into a $30k operation, but I am a pessimist at heart. If you plan on keeping the boat for a long time and you think that the advantages surpass the disadvantages, go for it!
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Sorry, I didn't realize that the was another thread to this topic. I should have read through them all before replying on this one.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A single OB? at first blush I thought "that'll never work," but my 32 footer DID plane off easily on one engine (when it had the props that came with it that were may under pitched). Loosing all that weight (at least 1,800 to 2,000 pounds) while gaining only 500 or so, should allow full plane with the right prop. Off plane with a single OB would be great--lots of steering control for slipping and great gas mileage. I like it!

On the $$$ of the outboard(s), I often see used but decent motors of that size (250 hp.) for sale fairly cheap when the owners upgraded for more power, so you might get by for far less money than you'd think (certainly far less than rebuilding both inboards and possibly their transmissions). With one OB you can get away with simple cable steering (as do zillions of boats) and use the OB's remote controls with extended cables.

Hey; this is a really neat project! Wish I was nearer so I could get involved.

Jeff

PS: The transom will need to be extensively strengthen for the weight and force back there, but it's a fairly straight forward "blacksmithing" job since we're dealing with aluminum.

PSS: Take the above with a dose of caution, for I'm the same guy who wanted to build a catamaran by mounting two sailboats together with OBs powering each.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

Thanks for all of the good input....
I've been offline for a couple of weeks so slow to reply, but thanks for the thoughts. My biggest challenge in accomplishing a re power like this is that the boat in question in unfortunately not at my home port so I would be either traveling a long ways and obviously committing a lot of time to it (which I do NOT have at this point on my life) OR locating and contracting with a reputable shop that could handle a project like this from start to finish. Either route poses significant challenges to me.
I'm actually going to start another topic/thread posing some more questions to the group along another line of thought. Maybe what i really want/need is another boat! lol. The way we travel a bigger boat with a full shower, walk around bed, diesels for range and safety might be the better answer??
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River