Not even sure how to ask about this...

Things that are of general interest.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Not even sure how to ask about this...

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Mine has been in salt for quite some time. She doesn't really look all that great, but thats from lack of proper care more than anything. We have plenty of aluminum boats that stay wet year round here, I wouldn't worry about it. Educate yourself on how to maintain a wet slipped salt water boat.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

I brought my '86 32FB down to Pensacola area (saltwater) in March. So I can't attest to long term problems.
I brought it down to sell it, after the trip, but like it enough to keep it. The cost of adding freshwater cooling from the raw water system it has, is pretty steep. Certainly a cost one would not get back out of the boat. so I found and installed a good flushout system just past the strainer for each engine. After a run, I hook up the hose and flush 'em out. Just like we do with outboards. Brass freezeplugs and other plugs were also installed on the engines for corrosion protection. I hope this works long term.

Capn Gary
1986 32 FB
Milton, Fl
twin 318's
EdTessmacher
New poster

Post by EdTessmacher »

Again, more valuable information. Thanks!

I'm impressed with the knowledge of the members. I hope to be able to add to it some day.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Had mine in the water here in Ketchikan, Alaska for 12 years. There are a couple more Marinettes in Alaska also. Just plan on hauling every year, cleaning the hull, and replacing anodes every year or two. Only use aluminum sacrificial anodes. Get closed cooling if at all possible, or figure throwing away the engines every 8-10 years. With closed cooling you just throw away the exhaust risers when they rust out. ( mine went 10 years, about $500 per engine for new ones ) I would get a trailer too, it will pay for itself. ( I store mine on the trailer, just block the trailer up so you don't have weight on the tires. Collect all the blocks and timbers you can get, This part is like working on heavy equipment. ) As has been noted here before, only use bottom paint that has no copper in it. I use E-Pro and am not very happy with it. There is another brand available, but it has the same active ingredient zinc amondine or something like that. Salt or fresh water, try to get the metal window tracks. The plastic ones will have been destroyed by the sun and it is very hard to find new aluminum track. If the wooden back deck hasn't been changed, plan on doing it. I ripped mine out and put down aluminum plate. Very happy with it. Plan on learning the boat and doing most or all the work yourself.
I was getting the error messages too, but everything is back to normal now.
Send me a message if you have any other questions. Good luck! --Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P