Any PC Experts Out There?

Things that are of general interest.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Any PC Experts Out There?

Post by Fastjeff »

I have a problem that has stumped everyone knowledgeable in PCs to date. To wit:

If you do a Control Print-Screen (and many don't know this) you can take a screen shot of anything on the screen at that time and paste it into a graphics program (like MS Paintbrush). I've been able to do this for years, and still can except....

Got a new PC and it won't let me do this while in my racing game, GTR2. It works every other time, but not in the game. (I get the modem presentation or some screwy deal that's not what I'm looking for). Over the years I've 'captured' track scenes from over 500 tracks I've got, and now, all of a sudden, it won't let me do it.

Anyone have an idea how to cure this? I'd be very appreciative!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Any PC Experts Out There?

Post by jralbert »

What edition of Windows are you using? In Win 7, there's a "Snipping Tool" which allows you to take a screen grab of the whole screen or just a piece of it. You can save, send or print it( I believe it is saved wherever you choose as a jpeg). I don't know whether that same tool is in the earlier or later versions of Windows but poke around your program listings for it.
Then, there's Faststone Capture which is freeware (you can make a donation) - very versatile (more features than Snipping Tool) and pretty intuitive. It's also great for resizing images and may do things easier and better than paint.
Sounds like you GTR2 pgm is locking the screen in some fashion for goodness knows what reason. You may want to try to communicate with the program's managers to see if they have a workaround that works better for you than what I described. Good luck
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I second the snipping tool or other 3rd party snipping/capture tools. Many options from full window to region to scrolling screen etc.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Did you check the keyboard mapping for the game? NOt likely to be used in-game, but maybe they changed something?
Bob Cavalcante, SCPO USN (Ret.)
Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I'm using BOTH Win 7 and 10. The game runs on 10, with everything else running on 7. (I know; the guy set it up for me that way, on my request.) I ran the game on 7 as a test and it still screws up, so that's not it.

Where do I find this 'sniping tool'?

Jeff

S: Tanks to all!
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

On Win 7 (It may be similar on Win 10 but I don't use it so I can't help on it), go to the list of programs you can pull up by clicking on the windows globe symbol in the lower left screen corner. Under "All Programs", open Accessories and you should see Snipping Tool in the list of Win utility programs. Rt click on Snipping Tool and select Pin To TaskBar. That will put the Snipping Tool scissors icon on your taskbar for easy future use.
It is a far better tool than Print Scrn because you can drag around just the area you want to capture, then you can paste the screen grab into wherever you want or save it as a jpeg file which, for example, you could send as an attachment.
Let us know if this works for you.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

No "All Programs" or "Accessories" on mine (Win 7).

Help!

Jeff
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Fastjeff wrote:No "All Programs" or "Accessories" on mine (Win 7). Help!
Of course, there has to be, even though you probably have the Home version and I'm on Professional. This may help guide you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

(it's the link you get when you Google "...how to find snipping tool in Win 7.." )
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD