318 ignition system

Things that are of general interest.
Spudweasel

318 ignition system

Post by Spudweasel »

Asking for your thoughts on distributor upgrades for my 318s. Currently I am running the original ignition system. The distributors are electronic though. I am considering going with either Pertronix Flame Thrower II or the D.U.I. Hei set up. I have read mixed reviews on the Pertronix, although older and haven't found anything on the DUI system being used in a Chrysler other than automotive use. What I have read on the DUI sounds very good. Any thoughts on either of these?
Jason
1976 32' FB sedan twin 318 closed cooling
"Minor Adventure"
Harrison Bay
Joe
Tin star

Re: 318 ignition system

Post by Joe »

Hello. Here is my 2 cents worth. I helped a friend replace his dist,s on his 1976 32 with 318's. The DUI system . the dist physical size is quite bigger than the stock dist. The bracket/ plate the module and resistor needs to be moved a little. And their was a issue with the oil sending unit/ alt switch ,had to adjust some to get it to fit. The plug wires were to short. Had to reorder 12" longer than stock to get them to fit. The plug wires are very nice. Butt $$. The engines ran very good with the new dist's. "BUTT" unless something has changed. the "DUI" system is not USCG approved.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Had the original electronic set up in mine that began to give me problems, after researching alternatives, mainly through this forum, I switched over to the DUI's and have never looked back. Yes there larger in physical size but mine fit with no problems, also bought there wires a few inches longer. Have the clear cap, you can see the rotor spinning inside. Not sure about the USCG approval but they advertise "marine". They may be a bit more than the Pertronix set up but I wouldn't think it would be much.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Since the question of CG approval was raised, I'd check and double check to make certain they are, in fact, ok'd. If there were an explosion, your insurance company would have grounds to refuse the claim and I suspect one could be held criminally liable for consequences. It's easy to get the answer. If not CG approved, it should be an absolute no-go regardless of the results
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Spudweasel

Post by Spudweasel »

Good point on the CG approval. I didn't look or even ask when I spoke to one of their reps. The DUI does have good reviews and they are a marine specific unit. I appreciate the feed back. I'm still kicking around thoughts on these but I will look into the CG rating as well. If not rated that be the deciding point. The price point is about the same the DUI is $385 and based off of Summits web site the Pertronix dist with the Coil is around $365. So the cost isn't really an issue. Well it is for my bank account haha.
Jason
"Minor Adventure"
Harrison Bay
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

You will need the special plug wires. I think they were about 150.00 a set.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Spudweasel

Post by Spudweasel »

Well that settles it. I didn't even spend 150 for the plug wires on my street/strip car and there was 9000.00 in that motor alone!
Jason
"Minor Adventure"
Harrison Bay
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

It's amazing how damn expensive race car parts have gotten of the years. I get Jegs and Summit catalogs, and I'm stunned by how much this stuff costs!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

If you want to save on plug wires, buy the wires for the later Crusader 454/502 engines with Delco EST ignition. They run under the manifolds and have 90 degree boots. The cap end is the same as HEI.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I have been field testing a Pertronix Dist. with their ignition. I am now on season 7 and am not looking back.
Been flawless and my M is in the water 24/7
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain