Question to owners about your 32' FB Sedan

Things that are of general interest.
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Question to owners about your 32' FB Sedan

Post by Hiramsaint »

I was wondering if any of the owners of 32' FB sedan's could tell me what they consider cruising speed to be in their boat and what the fuel burn per hour is at that speed. Also, any other approximate fuel burns per hour at various speeds that you may recall would be informative too. I'm strongly considering this boat as a Great Loop boat for me and my wife. I will have a few years to get it to suit us for the trip before I actually attempt it. My other consideration is a Willard trawler. While the fuel economy on the trawler is fantastic, a top speed of 10 knots isn't. I don't plan on hurrying my trip but I do want the luxury of speed and power, if needed, to escape a storm, emergency maneuvering or any other reason that would require it. Thanks!
Matt
No boat yet but in the hunt
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Question to owners about your 32' FB Sedan

Post by jralbert »

From what I've read, M's are considered relatively economical boats because they're lighter than the fiberglass equivalent. I cruised at between 2100 and 3000 rpm, as I recall, with a speed of 16-20 mph (depending on the bottom condition). I usually got about 1 mile per gal. With the boat trimmed properly, we could up that a little.

But it's still costly. We often aimed to lunch at spots on the opposite side of the Chesapeake Bay from where we docked - 20 miles roundtrip. When gas prices spiked to $5/gal that meant $100 just to get there and back. Cheap, I suppose, for the stress reduction we got from spending time on the water
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

My experience may not help out here, for I ran over sized props (17 x 15 four bladers). I found the most economical cruise was at around 2,500 rpm and 18 to 20 mph (depending on bottom cleanliness and other factors) burning 9.5 gph per engine.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

We've always looked at our boat as a "stress reducer" so our cruise speed is normally around 9 - 10 mph. Our burn rate (gph) fluctuates. Why? Cuz boating on the Ohio and its currents is variable, including heading upriver.
Case in point. We take a yearly trip from our marina (Lighthouse Point Yacht Club, Aurora, In.) downriver to a final destination at Madison, In. over 2 - 3 days (1 day spent fishing on Ky. river at Carrolton, Ky). This year (river was up and flow was heavier than normal. We averaged about 4 gph at 10 mph. When we headed upriver on the trek back home, we had a burn rate of about 7gph at 8mph until we reached Markland Dam at Warsaw, Ky. Why? Best I can offer was current. As soon as we were thru Markland Lock, I noticed a vast improvement. Current appeared to be less of a cause. We were still heading upriver but we were getting 5.3 gph at 9 mph.

A good chunk of your Great Loop trip will be in calm or downriver currents so you shud see good burn rates there. You can map / plot distances were you'll be heading against the current to figure burn rates there(ex - Hudson River). To go "anal", you could also figure in tides as well. A high tide "inland" gets you better burns, fighting an "ebbing" (low) tide will increase burn rate. Most "Loopers" don't go down the Mississippi to the Gulf as there's an absence of fueling points. They use the Tennessee River and TenTom canal instead (better fueling options). I'd recommend carrying extra gas with you. We carry 4 full - 5 gallon cans with us (just in case). A great source of info on the Great Loop can be found at: http://captainjohn.org/

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

bcassedy wrote:We've always looked at our boat as a "stress reducer" so our cruise speed is normally around 9 - 10 mph. Our burn rate (gph) fluctuates. Why? Cuz boating on the Ohio and its currents is variable, including heading upriver.
Case in point. We take a yearly trip from our marina (Lighthouse Point Yacht Club, Aurora, In.) downriver to a final destination at Madison, In. over 2 - 3 days (1 day spent fishing on Ky. river at Carrolton, Ky). This year (river was up and flow was heavier than normal. We averaged about 4 gph at 10 mph. When we headed upriver on the trek back home, we had a burn rate of about 7gph at 8mph until we reached Markland Dam at Warsaw, Ky. Why? Best I can offer was current. As soon as we were thru Markland Lock, I noticed a vast improvement. Current appeared to be less of a cause. We were still heading upriver but we were getting 5.3 gph at 9 mph.

A good chunk of your Great Loop trip will be in calm or downriver currents so you shud see good burn rates there. You can map / plot distances were you'll be heading against the current to figure burn rates there(ex - Hudson River). To go "anal", you could also figure in tides as well. A high tide "inland" gets you better burns, fighting an "ebbing" (low) tide will increase burn rate. Most "Loopers" don't go down the Mississippi to the Gulf as there's an absence of fueling points. They use the Tennessee River and TenTom canal instead (better fueling options). I'd recommend carrying extra gas with you. We carry 4 full - 5 gallon cans with us (just in case). A great source of info on the Great Loop can be found at: http://captainjohn.org/

Bill
Thanks for the info. I plan on about 9-10 for most of the trip starting near the Chattanooga area, down the TennTom to Mobile and finishing near the Norfolk area so not a complete Loop trip but more of a half trip. I figure the heaviest fuel usage will be the Gulf crossing and the southern tip of Fla. with a few stops at some of the keys. Thanks for the Capt. John link-probably been there 15 times over the last 2 years plotting planning and drooling. My plan is to also install additional under deck fuel tanks probably totaling in the 75-100 gallon range. I'm an aluminum fabricator so those will be done by me and made to fit as needed. That is also the reason, along with info I've gleaned here about the M from you fantastic fellows, that I'm leaning towards the M. To me the 32 FB Sedan is also just a cool azz looking vessel. The FB is a must because I don't want to spend 6 months driving inside, we want to be out in the open soaking up the sights, smells and sounds at a leisurely pace. I've seen plenty of 32's online for fairly reasonable prices so now it's just a matter of setting up a make shift enclosure at the old homestaed then having the right one trucked down here to the Atlanta area so I can get to work on it.
Matt
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

"Aquaholic" (Erik) is a member here and is doing the loop in a 32 FB.
He may be able to help you out.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

shade2u2 wrote:"Aquaholic" (Erik) is a member here and is doing the loop in a 32 FB.
He may be able to help you out.
Very Cool!!! Is he doing any sort of real time updates?
Matt
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

He is doing it in "legs".
You might be able to search his name on here to see posts. His wife may be a member also.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

" My plan is to also install additional under deck fuel tanks probably totaling in the 75-100 gallon range."

For peace of mind that is good idea if you can find the room. Remember, though, there's a fuel penalty for trudging along with up to 800 extra pounds.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

You are right. Maybe it will be a smaller qty. but all that should work itself out after I see what I have to work with.
Matt