Engine access from under the cabin step true or false

Things that are of general interest.
Pipercubfan

Engine access from under the cabin step true or false

Post by Pipercubfan »

I have a 1973 28 Marinette HT express with a 350 Crusader engine. I want to disconnect the sea water pump belt so I can start the engine for a short time on land without destroying the rubber impeller. I see the 2 bolts that appear to be the adjusting bolt but they are buried and the bolt head is under the bracket that supports the sea water pump. so the only thing I see id the threaded end of the bolt sticking up. Almost impossible for me to get access to that bolt from the top of the engine. I did go into the cabin and removed the top step and there appears to be a separate panel under the step. I removed the screws that I saw but the panels still seems tight. There is a metal threshold above the panel but I don't see any way of removing that metal threshold . I think the threshold might be holding the panel in place. I am really not sure if that panel is designed to be removed but it would make front engine access a lot easier. Has anyone else had this issue and if so can you advise me. If push comes to shove I can saw the panel out and replace it with a larger panel after and screw the new panel in place. Sorry about the long post but I AM STILL ON THE HARD AND SUMMER IS GOING FASTER THAN I WOULD LIKE AT THIS POINT. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY POST
This is a new boat to me so I am still learning my way around it. LOL
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Engine access from under the cabin step true or false

Post by Busia »

Don't run the engine without cooling water. What I do is take the hose off the sea strainer and put a longer hose from the strainer into a 5gal bucket. Then run a garden hose into the bucket. When the bucket is full of water you can start the engine and just watch that the bucket doesn't go dry.-- ( I use to own a Cub )
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

I thought it looked like it would be easy to pull that panel behind the steps my 1978 28' express too..... no such luck. I pulled the stairs and the screws from the stainless door threshold to no avail. My boat got crushed by a tree before I got around to cutting an access hole in that bulkhead behind the stairs. I will probably make this modification at some point on my current boat.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
meltonhill
Tin star

Post by meltonhill »

Seef158 years ago I wanted access to the front of the engine. Here was my solution icebox door from an old Chris Craft and steps. The panel will come out but doubtful it will be usable again. Thad
Attachments
IMG_20180717_214630349.jpg
IMG_20180717_214615165.jpg
IMG_20180717_214640428.jpg
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

This is also how I get to the from of my single engine Sportsman
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That photo reminds me of Diver Dan's 32 footer with big block Chevies installed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Pipercubfan

Post by Pipercubfan »

Thanks . Looks like a project for next year unless the drive belt goes this year LOL