Stern railing design

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Stern railing design

Post by Tuggle »

Currently mine is in good condition but looking down the road have thought about having them redone in sheet aluminum and powder coated. Not only the lower but the fly bridge also. Take the strips or the whole pieces and have them copied, edges smoothed, powder coated and you'd never have to fool with them again.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

legendlc wrote:On the subject of the splash Curtain mentioned here. I am rebuilding a 37 double cabin and one small piece of curtain was damaged in a storm a few years back while the boat was sitting on blocks. The metal inside the canvas was broken during the storm does anyone know what its called or where to locate it for purchase?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Re: the metal inside the canvas.
Consider a strip of thin wood molding as an alternative. After all, the purpose of the metal strip, though it's sturdy and hard to break, is to keep the canvas straight and supported. If the wood breaks, it is easy and cheap to replace.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

I think they used 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum stock. They used aluminum on mine because it supported the canvas at the aft corners where there was no stanchion. It is all long gone now, and I like it better. Never had a problem getting wet though.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Great thanks for the ideas
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

The metal backing in mine were simply a strip of 1/8" x 1" of aluminum stock. Got a new chunk at the local welding hop for 20 bucks or so, cut and bent it to fit.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennis9
Tin star

Post by jennis9 »

John --- it is a spalsh guard It also catches lots of spiders. :) just got a quote to redo mine in a dark navy. I will have the old one in marine blue available to sell this fall - it is for a 32 and in nice shape. You would need to put in the steel rods to keep it tight (im recycling these for the new). it is reinforced to keep the canvas from sagging.

If your old sunbrella is looking dirty - I would use the starbrite mold/mildew cleaner (It works WONDERS!) or a mix of dish soap and diluted bleach this brings the canvas back to life - spray it on wet fabric, and use a soft scrub brush in the grain of the fabric LIGHTLY to get the mix into the fabric, then wait about 15 minutes and blast with the hose. it takes out dirt and mildew - my drop curtain came out great. there are videos on detailing boats and soft car tops and that's where i go the tips on cleaning. the light brushing and letting it sit is easy method.

legend -- I would call the canvas shop, they might have spare
FINALLY GOT IT!
1986 Marinette Express 32
w/twin Chrysler 318s
Located on Lake Erie
FCYC, Cleveland, OH