water hose

Things that are of general interest.
ronmar
Tin star

water hose

Post by ronmar »

Please excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge. I have a 1990 318 that has on port engine a water hose that is in very bad shape. It runs out of a strainer by the seacock lever which I assume is the intake water line. It appears to be quite a thick hose and I have not crawled all the way under to see where it connects I assume goes around port side of motor to the water pump. My back in very bad shape and could not get in there to give better detail. Does anyone know a part number or what that hose is so I can find a replacement? Appears it was lying on the coupler and caused it to wear through. Thank goodness I discovered over the weekend when I opened seacock to spring prep. Not blown yet but believe it will soon.
Thanks
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan
Marty D
Port of Cincinnati
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: water hose

Post by jralbert »

A strong hunch here that you will not enjoy. There is probably no part number for that since water hoses can be in such an infinite range of lengths that they are sold by the foot. I'm afraid you will have to engage a helper to pull this one and replace it with one of the same length that you purchase at your friendly marine supply store or on line. From your description it appears to be what you deduced - an intake water line, a standard item. and yes, you are also correct that you will have to protect the new one from the shaft when you install it. The good news in this is that by careful checking you saved yourself a huge potential repair bill had that line ruptured while you were underway and you didn't spot the engine overheating. Sorry it's on the wrong engine or wrong side of the engine for easy access. Sounds like an original 1990 part that has served well for almost three decades - time to check all the hoses
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Can I assume that since your boat is a '90 then you have Crusader engines? If so then you should have 1 1/4" hardwall water hose (has wire embedded in the rubber). You will have to remove and measure for new since it is sold by the foot. This may offer the opportunity to lengthen or shorten as necessary to route it in a better way. If it is original be prepared to cut it off with a sharp utility knife and a set of side cutters.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
ronmar
Tin star

Post by ronmar »

jralbert wrote:A strong hunch here that you will not enjoy. There is probably no part number for that since water hoses can be in such an infinite range of lengths that they are sold by the foot. I'm afraid you will have to engage a helper to pull this one and replace it with one of the same length that you purchase at your friendly marine supply store or on line. From your description it appears to be what you deduced - an intake water line, a standard item. and yes, you are also correct that you will have to protect the new one from the shaft when you install it. The good news in this is that by careful checking you saved yourself a huge potential repair bill had that line ruptured while you were underway and you didn't spot the engine overheating. Sorry it's on the wrong engine or wrong side of the engine for easy access. Sounds like an original 1990 part that has served well for almost three decades - time to check all the hoses
Thank you for the quick response. I did check the others and appear still in good condition.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan
Marty D
Port of Cincinnati
ronmar
Tin star

Post by ronmar »

EWRice wrote:Can I assume that since your boat is a '90 then you have Crusader engines? If so then you should have 1 1/4" hardwall water hose (has wire embedded in the rubber). You will have to remove and measure for new since it is sold by the foot. This may offer the opportunity to lengthen or shorten as necessary to route it in a better way. If it is original be prepared to cut it off with a sharp utility knife and a set of side cutters.
Not Crusaders they are Chrysler's. Is this available at auto stores or do I need to purchase at Marine store?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan
Marty D
Port of Cincinnati
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Figure out what size hose you need. ( I.D not O.D. ) Go to the supply house and get a piece a little longer than you need. Go back to the boat and thread the new hose in. You may be able to route it in a better way. Hook up the end that is hard to get to first, then cut to length and connect the easy end. Watch out for the wire inside the hose, it's sharp!
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
ronmar
Tin star

Post by ronmar »

Thanks. Tried to find size on old hose but could not see a stamp. Guess will remove and see if can match up somewhere.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan
Marty D
Port of Cincinnati
ronmar
Tin star

Post by ronmar »

Someone mentioned possibly cutting out damaged section and install a coupler. The rest of hose actually appears in good condition. Does this seem viable or safe?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan
Marty D
Port of Cincinnati
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

You probably want to replace the whole hose. My two cents says a coupler is an opportunity for failure.

Good luck. I had an overheating problem once and finally traced it to that same hose: there was a crack underneath the hose clamp on the upstream side of the water pump. The rest of the hose looked okay, but the crack was big enough to starve the water pump--there was some water getting through just nowhere near enough.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

There's usually a trans cooler in that line. I'd try to get someone to remove it intact and match it up at an auto store. Ditto the front hose that goes from the oil cooler to the water pump.

Jeff

PS: You'll probably need to cut off excessive hose on the one you find that's close as you can get.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington