Off Topic: Mercury 9.9 2 cycle won't start.....

Things that are of general interest.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Off Topic: Mercury 9.9 2 cycle won't start.....

Post by ericinga »

So, I was given a Mercury 9.9 2 cycle that has been in a basement since 1999. The motor is pristine looking, probably has less than 100 hours on it but wont start. Has spark; plugs are new. Good compression at 60 lbs first pull and builds to 80 lbs on second pull. New fuel tank, line and bulb.

Pulled carb and found flakes in fuel pump and bowl. Disassembled and cleaned entire carb, blew out passages, checked all needles and seats. Now have fuel in bowl but don't see much in the cylinders. Thinking the fuel pump is not working.

Ordered a carb rebuild kit since diaphragms seem a little tough and might be cracked.

Any thoughts?

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Off Topic: Mercury 9.9 2 cycle won't start.....

Post by Fastjeff »

Ain't those carb kits expensive! Wheeew!

The rings are probably stuck in the grooves since that's crappy compression. I suggest (after you get the carb back on) using starting ether to get her going--they can get stubborn after sitting a long time.) When it's going, shoot some Merc power tune stuff into the carb to free up the rings.

You'll also need to replace the impeller.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: Off Topic: Mercury 9.9 2 cycle won't start.....

Post by ericinga »

The carb gasket and diaphragm kit was $26. Not too bad. Hopefully that is it. Thanks for reminding me about the impeller.

I threw out three cans of starting spray from the boat after buying it. The PO had to use it starting the boat. Had no concept of proper ignition or carb tuning. Made my skin crawl.

I may actually have to buy a can.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat