Help identifying switches at helm

Things that are of general interest.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Help identifying switches at helm

Post by shade2u2 »

barefoot99 wrote:Green circle - toggles in the middle control the spot light and movement - UP the flybridge has control - Back the lower helm has the control. The other control is , left to right- speed of travel, spot/flood light/off and directional control of the light.
Why are there 2 switches on the smaller metal plate?
I want to remove these controls from my boat but I want to make sure that I can still power the new flood light from both helms.
thanx
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

For flybridge or lower helm control One switch is for on / off. The other is for spotlight movement
Up for fly -back for lower helm
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

barefoot99 wrote:For flybridge or lower helm control One switch is for on / off. The other is for spotlight movement
Up for fly -back for lower helm
Just to help me understand...
You turn on power to the spot light with one switch & then the other determines which light controls are active (lower or upper) for controlling the light?
Then why are there 'search light' breaker switches on each dash?

I'm installing a new spot light that all I need to worry about is power.

Thanx
John
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

You should verify that your new spotlight has both upper and lower controls. Be awful inconvenient to be out at night on the flybridge and not be able to shift the light up / down and/or left / right. And movement controls are, what many consider, a must. While you can't run a flood/spot light constantly on the water (Coast Guard regs... :oops: :oops: ), you do want to have the ability to check for debris / harbor entrances (restrictions) / anchoring options and being able to swing the light so as to light those up is invaluable.

As to the why a breaker on the consoles, that's the main power feed for your light. Think of it this way. Your home has breakers for the various branch circuits and the devices plugged in to an outlet on the branch has an on/off switch. The breaker for the floodlight on the consoles are the branch breaker control. There's wiring and connectors (upper and lower helm stations involved before the electric gets to the flood/spot light. Having a breaker provides safety to shut down the power at that point. A problem in the wiring beyond that point could prove to be problematic and the ability to shut down the power at its source could prove to be invaluable.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

bcassedy,
Thank you for the info. The breakers are important.
The new light that came with the boat that I have to install is a wireless control "GoLight". It appears that I just have to run positive and negative wires to the light and the switch will only turn the light on & off.
The rotation and tilt are controlled from a wireless handheld. I'm sure I will misplace that that... lol
Anyhow, I assume that there is a hot wire (or is it negative) going to each breaker/switch located at each helm. Those switches must connect to the 2 switch panel that I originally questioned???
I am in the process of learning more & more about the Marinette wiring between dual helms. Bare with me...
John
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Just grab the power wiring( + -) at the light and you will be fine. Switches will still be independent of the power wiring. If you want to remove them just pick the constant power from the breaker run to your new light.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Breakers control the hot ( + ) side of a circiit. The movement control switch will probably not be needed for your new lite, but the power / helm selection control may be still needed.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Thank you. Makes sense.
John