Exhaust hose advice

Things that are of general interest.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Exhaust hose advice

Post by bcassedy »

Running without mufflers will probably get you a stern warning from your marina and a lot of unappreciative looks from your marina neighbors. I remember asking about the use of muffler expansion tools, but the knowledgeable folks on the site said No Way. The hose's body makeup is such that stretching it with a muffler expansion tool (to the point where it won't revert back to its original size before you have a chance to put it on the metal pipes) would tear the material the hose is made up of. At that point the hose is compromised and you'd likely have a bulging spot where the fibers have been broken. You're right on the use of warm/hot water to soften - it won't. The water coursing through the hose is 100 deg + (most raw water engines use a 140 deg thermostat so the exhaust water's in that neighborhood).
Your best bet, if you can't find hose that's a tad (1/8") bigger as Jeff suggests, is to get the correct size, lube it up well (as well as the pipe it'll fit over) with dish soap and push it onto the pipe until it's in place.

One thing, I wonder about the use of corrugated hose. The interior of the exhaust hose is smooth to allow for the unrestricted flow of water as well as (in most cases) the complete drainage of water when the engine's shut down. Corrugated interior hose would allow water to settle in the low spots of the hose, allowing any sediments to settle there. Additionally, and I can't swear to this as I've not heard of it actually occurring, but those low spots could become a living spot for zebra mussels. True, the exhaust water coming from the engines should kill them, but if you're not at the boat on a frequent basis, they'd have a chance to "set up shop". Even if they were killed/cooked when you next ran the boat, their remains would be stuck in the hose's interior. They're tough lil buggers and you could end up with a significant buildup over time that could affect coolant flow.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

I do not have mufflers on my BigM . I have 4 inch fiberglass tube with hose connections at each end. Hose from the manifolds to the Y. I love the way it sounds and I get many compliments. It is loud though, but more like classic inboard boat loud. Not like Baja loud.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

A fellow M owner, Seanik, posted in January that he was thinking about going with the GGB Exhaust Inserts rather than replace the mufflers, still curious if anyone else has ever tried them. The products look similar to SuperTrap mufflers for high performance cars.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

The correct exhaust hose has a hard wire wound reinforcement and it not designed to expand. I done a couple of 4" sections on my boat last season and off was a little aggravating but very doable, going back on was uneventful, maybe use some soapy water to help it slide in place.
Last edited by DougDoty on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
john26
Tin star

Post by john26 »

Thanks to all for the great info and knowledge.I feel a little less apprehensive about the task at hand thanks to good fellowship.
Also..My 66 just has a straight hose from the riser with a gentle downward slope to muffler then out the transom.Should there be a siphon break or water box in line for safety.
john
1966 Marinette 26 Flybridge single 351w
1990 Sea Ray 160
1992 Reef Runner
1984 Oday 23
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

Mine is all originally set up in the factory hangers and it is not designed with any trap arrangement, in fact you want the water to fall away from the motors naturally. Also, on getting the old hose off, I remembering using a set of good wire cutters to segment the hard wire that is spirally wound into the hose to allow me room to get a straight screw driver down between the old hose and what ever it was attached to. I think it was key to not having any difficulties.
Last edited by DougDoty on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
john26
Tin star

Post by john26 »

Sounds like the way to go.I am stuck between getting the vetus or Trident corrugated hose.The Vetus 21/2" hose is actually 2 9/16" 65mm and would be easier to install.The Trident seems to be a little more robust temp wise and more commonly used , but probably will be a bear getting it on.

Any and all feed back wanted.i cant seem to decide.
1990 Sea Ray 160
1992 Reef Runner
1984 Oday 23
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

As you all probably are now so tired of hearing me say, ask the mfr for tips. They've had a gazillion (that's a large number) of customer interactions and may have very good time-saving advice. if you follow through, I hope you will, please share your findings here.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

side note - that Vetus hose I used looks corrugated on the outside but the inner surface is smooth. It's been installed 2 years on my boat, no problems yet.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
john26
Tin star

Post by john26 »

Thanks for the feedback.I like the flexability of the vetus product,just not alot of info out there on it.It should be an easier install.
Thanks
John
1990 Sea Ray 160
1992 Reef Runner
1984 Oday 23