Caribbean cruising

Things that are of general interest.
Jcbwell
Tin star

Caribbean cruising

Post by Jcbwell »

Does anyone here have experience taking their Marinette from Florida down to, say, the USVI or other Caribbean destination? If so (or iven if not), any recommendations?
Marinette 37' Marquis (sundeck)
Presently the Castle K, but plan to rename Sinewave
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Caribbean cruising

Post by EWRice »

The story goes with my boat that the original owner used to make regular trips between Florida and the Bahamas. Judging by the receipts and the number of engines changed, I believe it.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Jcbwell
Tin star

Post by Jcbwell »

Thinking of going thru Bahamas to USVI, over course of a few months. Wondering how 37' Marinette should handle this. To Bahamas, and a number of engines changed?!?
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I do it in my dreams all the time. Never used a gal of gas or drop of oil.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Jcbwell
Tin star

Post by Jcbwell »

Yeah, but the swimming is a bit dry, isn't it? Or is it a 'Dream?
Jcbwell
Tin star

Post by Jcbwell »

[quote="Jcbwell"]Yeah, but the swimming is a bit dry, isn't it? Or is it a 'Dream?
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Jcbwell wrote:Thinking of going thru Bahamas to USVI, over course of a few months. Wondering how 37' Marinette should handle this. To Bahamas, and a number of engines changed?!?
According to the receipts I found in my boat, she has had 4 sets of engines before I took ownership. The previous owner had the last set rebuilt, if that's what you can call it, by a less than reputable rebuilder. That's how I ended up with the project. I had to build two new engines, rewire, new fuel system, etc. Now we are good to go. That brings us to 6 sets of engines.

I was told that the first owner and his son would spend weekends in the Bahamas fishing. No hour meters in my boat, but I would love to see how many hours she has logged. You can tell she has had many miles beneath her keel.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Jcbwell
Tin star

Post by Jcbwell »

Its good to know someone went to Bahamas at least, and fishing is hard on engines (or can be). The 37' we just bought is in good condition, I believe fairly low hours for a 1988, but routine maintenance had been neglected. Putting a bit of effort in there.

I've been wondering about the Al hull holding up to extensive exposure to saltwater. This boat has been in mostly freshwater. Hull is in really good shape, but not entirely sure what engines have been thru. Seem to run fine, but Crusaders seem to be very forgiving until they aren't.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Salt water shouldn't be hard on the hull if you hose it down after a day's outing. But it will be hard on topside fasteners which are subject to wear even in f'water. hardest effect would be on engine cooling. Suggest if you are salt watering, get one of those (Groco?) flush systems where you can hook up a garden hose easily and keep fresh water in the engine passages between uses.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I'm here in Miami (may be the only Big M here by the looks I get :)

Are your engines raw water cooled?

Mine are and I get nervous but that will only speed up the death of the manifolds and eventually block. I do the flush thing with the salt off detergent in a 5 gal bucket when I cruise to the islands or keys for weekend trips.

Really, the worst issues I've had were crazy corrosion from the crappy hatch design and electrical issues. If you are coming down the intercoastal, stop in front of my place and I'll get you suited up the crossing. It will take about 2 hours to get to Bimini from my place.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH