Need Some Win 10 Help

Things that are of general interest.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Need Some Win 10 Help

Post by Fastjeff »

I finally transitioned to Win 10 after decades of using Win 7. (My phone still has a cord coming out of the wall, but at least it's no longer a dial phone!)

Win 10 is better in many ways, but I have a major problem looking at photos (of which I have slew).

Using Paintbrush, Paint Shop Pro and other programs in Win 7, I could right click on photo in a file, then look at every photo in the file, and in full size. I could also dial up a slideshow with one click. But now, with Win 10, I can not do that. There's this crappy preview option, but the photo is the size of a postage stamp. Useless.

What I need is a way to do, in Win 10, what was a breeze in Win 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Bryank97
Tin star

Re: Need Some Win 10 Help

Post by Bryank97 »

Although I am not familiar with either program you listed, I am trying to visualize where you are at in these programs when you have the issue.

Are you trying to Open a photo to edit within these programs?
If so, and you see a list with small preview photos to choose from, you can change the view similar to my screen below.

If you see the black box I have outlined, choosing this option changes the view and should let you choose larger icons to see the photos before you open them.

It is possible this is not your issue and I cannot visualize where you are at in the program when you expirence you issue.
It is also possible that with a new computer you have an updated version of Paintbrush or Paint Shop Pro, and the issue lies within them not so much Windows 10.

Hope this helps
Bryan
Attachments
Untitled.png
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Thanks. Both programs worked fine with Win 7, so...

I also have seen where a few Word files don't show up in 10, along with a bunch of folders holding photos. Had to go back to 7, burn them to a DVD, then upload them on 10. What a PitA!

I DID find a way to slideshow, however, in Win Explorer. It's awkward but usable.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Jeff..for handling photos on the cheap (I know that sends chills up your spine), use a program called FastStone. it's free...fast..versatile. As a viewer and editor. Nowhere near as fancy an editor as Photoshop but enough power to crop..lighten/darken...and, of course, resize. Even the tech challenged can latch onto it quickly. Lemme know...
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

"Free"? I like it!

I'll give it a try, long as it doesn't try to download a bunch of irrelevant crap at the same time.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS: Still using (and loving) that spell checker program you told me about years ago!
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

:)

No crap with FastStone-it's amazing. If you like it, send them a few shekels. I remember the spell checker, from the Windows 95 days..when I still had hair ()or at least a comb over)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You still have enough left for a comb over?

Lucky dog!

Jeff
tjcimba

Post by tjcimba »

Hi, you have been such a help to me over the yearsI hope this will help you.. I have used it for years and its free..

https://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/300 ... 21962.html

put pics in folder and full screen and mouse click through them, and a whole lot more

hope it helps
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Thanks.

Jeff