Electric feed to 41' boat - major issue

bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Electric feed to 41' boat - major issue

Post by bcassedy »

Does anyone have a schematic for an '88 Marquis?

Have run into issue of supposedly having the standard 2 input 30A circuits (with separate feeds from Shore Power 30A feeds). However, in checking, there's only 1 feed in use - disconnected each feed SP cable as it plugs into boat:
Feed 1 - ALL AC appliances + 2 air conditioners use this feed. Subsequently, it pulls too much electric (the boat's AC meter will show 157 volts (?!?!) but a low amp load.). This causes 1 breaker on shore power pole to trip.
Diags confirm there's only the 1 30A feed in use!

Feed 2 - no AC usage on the boat: appliances checked, AC lighting checked, outlets checked. Nothing powered by this ckt.

I'm going to pull the electric panel in the salon to check wiring (but apprehensive about what I'm going to find.
--> having a Schematic will help immensely to put things right!

Anyone able to help?

Thx much!!!
Bill
Last edited by bcassedy on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Electric feed to 41' boat - major issue

Post by GB49 »

Everything in the boat is working fine off feed 1, assuming load management so not to trip the main breaker?

Do you have 2 main 30Amp breakers on the inside panel?

Do you have a generator and the accompanying switches to toggle dock feed and generator?

I've replaced several melted AC connectors and 30Amp inlets on Matinettes over the years. Electrical wiring was not a strong suit of Aluminum Cruisers, unfortunately.

Generally the 30A inlets on the outside of the boat have strand, 3 wire "romex" right to the main breaker(s) inside the boat. If there is a generator inline there must be make/break switch to cut off the dock power. I cant recall how the switch(s) are setup for 2 x 30A inlets + generator. Without visually checking it's difficult to tell.

the 157VAC reading has to be faulty meter. You can't make more voltage than what the power company gives you. Even boats with 220V service have 2 separate legs of 120V coming into the boat. You can verify 120ish volts by sticking a digital meter into an outlet (only if you are comfortable with using a meter).

If you take the electrical panel apart just unplug the outside shore cords first and take picture with your phone. Post them here if unsure what you are looking at.

If you don't know how to use a meter and are not sure about working with 120VAC, hire an electrician to do the job.

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Karl,
To your questions:
There are separate 30a breakers for the 2 shore power feeds going to the boat:
-> 2 each on the utility pole where the electric meter is located
-> 2 each on the dock's power distribution mount (ie - the electric feeds run from the utility (meter) pole underground a short distance under the slip's access drive, come up out of the ground and into conduit that runs on top of one of the horizontal stabilizer poles (that allow the dock to rise and fall with the river level - boat is moored on a backwater of the Ohio R.). That conduit section ends at the dock where the feeds go into a circuit breaker box where each 30a feed runs through a 30a breaker. This was the way the original dock owner built it. I put in new ckt breaker box.
-> the feeds then run under the dock to 30a outdoor plugs.
-> Marinco marine power cords then plug into the outdoor plugs and plug into (new) 30a plugs mounted in hull (normal configuration).
Wiring is 10AWG from power pole to boat.
The reason for various ckt breakers at different locations - safety. It is not uncommon for the river to rise, in a number of cases to the point where the under ground conduit to exposed conduit is under water. If the river rises to the point where the meters could be impacted by flooding, the marina owner has the power to the slips elevated meters shut off.

-> there are 2 30a breakers inside the boat as well.

NOTE - This arrangement has been working for our 32' SB with no issue so my thinking is that there's something in the 41' that's askew.

There is a make/break switch to go from Shore Power to Generator Power ( SP - OFF - GENERATOR) for each of the 2 30a ckts.

Will be back at the boat Wednesday and electrical issues are on list of priorities to diagnose. Also dealing with Raritan (? - no name plates 🤪) toilets in heads that are not running water thru them - separate issue). And yep, thru hulls open, new impellers, strainers clear.... I LOVE BOATING! 😝
- Have measured voltage at outlets under normal loads and voltage normal. Will measure again when AC unit(s) engaged at several points to verify voltage. Agree with your observation that "you get what you pay for" on voltage supplied by electric company. I'll be glad when I narrow reasoning for screwball readings and get them fixed!

Built and wired a house back in the '80's. Didn't have this much trouble with that. Oh well, I'm sure the powers on high are giggling hysterically when they watch boaters. After all, He had Noah build an ark using cubits as a measuring unit!

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

All sounds good. I'm curious what you find out.

The original Raritan heads should be 12VDC and could be CROWN or CROWN II models (non vacu flush). There is sometimes a sticker on the back of the motor housing. I do have the Crown manual with parts list if you need a copy.

"right....whats a cubit?"....Check out Bill Cosby's Noah skit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA
Forum member since 1998.
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

In the case of an old boat it is a good idea to look at the wiring as it exists and draw the schematic yourself to look at. Just an idea, but it isn't likely that two A/Cs and everything else can run on one 30 amp circuit. The previous owner might have put everything on one line because there was only one line at their dock?

If you used a hand held meter to check the voltage at the outlets and it was right, then perhaps use the hand held to check/verify the built in meter that reads 159 volts. Not a good idea to run any appliances on wrong voltage. Just a thought.

Did you just get this boat? Are you in contact with the last owner?
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

ISSUE SOLVED! sheepish admission by orig poster... :oops:

In discussing issue with electrician friend, there was a "eureka " enlightened moment..
- wanting to improve / enhance the electrical supply situation at the dock (which we own, we rent the 50' wide space that is where our boat's located), I had installed a new 4 position outdoor sub panel circuit breaker box 2 years ago. Covid and other things got in the way and the new 6 Guage SP feed cable/conduit have yet to be installed. The existing power supply situation has worked fine until the new 41' boat came into play. We still have 2 30a feeds from the new 4 position circuit breaker box (2 30a breakers - boat, 1 30a feed to go back to shore as a supply for our camper, and a 20a feed for the dock (tiki bar and other uses).
Ok, having said ALL that:
I had forgotten there was an "A" and "B" side (buss bars) in new dock sub panel (same as most home breaker boxes).
--> The boat's 30a feed were on the same buss bar! As the new SP feed cable (with associated larger <60a> breakers from power pole) hadn't been installed, the (still in place) 30a breaker at the power pole was handling the current load of the new 41' boat thru the 2 - 30a breakers at the boat (interior) thru the sub panel and into a single 30a breaker at power pole's circuit breaker box/meter. Moving one of the 30a boat feeds to the other 4 position ckt brkr box's buss bar spreads the load to both existing 30a breakers at the pwr pole.
No more issues.
Note - there are only the 2 boat ckts in use thru the 4 position sub panel. Will need to install new breaker box, 60a breakers, 1 1/4" conduit (underground access road), conduit from above ground appearance to dock's 4 position sub panel and 6awg underground feed cable before any other loads put on.

Whew!!

Bill
Last edited by bcassedy on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Oh man. Didn't even consider the main wiring being on the same side. At least you have it solved!
Forum member since 1998.