It may be official...

javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

It may be official...

Post by javalin390 »

I have just spent an hour searching the web and do believe that every Chrysler fuel filter on planet Earth is GONE. (part#'s 3675330; 4142597; 2125747)
The last place that I had purchased a set, Ess-Kay Boat Yard in NY, is now sold out. So I guess it's now time to update to a more modern system. Some of my inquiry is to FastJeff, as I was reading some of his old posts on marineengine.com, where many concerns related to USCG compliance. One being the use of clear, see-thru filters, and that they are are "illegal", like the NAPA 18-7790... https://www.napaprolink.com/resultsmi.a ... archType=1 ... I'd really like to see how dirty they get. From what I read, even the Raycor clear bottom units, are a no-no. Any thoughts?
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: It may be official...

Post by jralbert »

Thoughts on using non-approved units? Other than the fact that the explosion is likely to be spectacular, let's hope you are not pining to use one. You could cut apart a metal one when you replace it (or before) to see how dirty it has gotten. Are you saying the metal ones aren't available either? Since there are many Chrysler engines of that vintage running these days, it doesn't make sense for mfrs to have abandoned them
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Jim,
For those unfamiliar with that type of filter, could you post a pic and description of where it's normally located?

And yeah, I'll admit... I'm not sure I know either... :oops:

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
levelwind

Post by levelwind »

Did you try Lakeland Auto and Marine in Port Clinton OH? I thought they have a modified version that works.
Brian & Susan
"X-Rayz"
Upper Niagara River
1981 Marinette
28ft Sedan FB
Twin Chrylser 318's
Raw water cooled
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

For the reason described above I converted mine over to simple-readily available spin on filters. Used Wix filters and mounts.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
levelwind

Post by levelwind »

Truggle brings up a good point. As I too have the Chrysler filters near the carbs. My brother had a fuel line made to fit from the carb to the fuel pump and just uses a 10 micron water separator filter in his 32' M. I am due for a filter replacement but wonder if the Chrysler filter is needed. I use a Sierra 18-7946 which is 10 micron and the Chrysler is 30 micron. The filtration seems backwards to me. Lakeland Auto will make copper line from the carb to the fuel pump and Sirco in Erie used approved rubber fuel line with 90 degree end fittings for my brothers BigM . Sorry to high jack the thread but are these the best options? Thoughts?? And Jeff your thoughts are more than welcome.
Brian & Susan
"X-Rayz"
Upper Niagara River
1981 Marinette
28ft Sedan FB
Twin Chrylser 318's
Raw water cooled
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Seeing you asked....

Being a legendary cheapskate, I converted my fuel filter to metal can in-line types from NAPA. Doubled up miniature hose clamps on both sides to prevent a leak. They are a cinch to change (and low cost, of course!) Also, on a friend's big M, I saw one of the stock metal filters leak badly from a crack in the filter thanks tot the rigid installation.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Here is what the filter looks like... http://www.ess-kayyards.com/catalog/product1967.html
The fuel line threads in at each end, which I prefer. Not sure if mine is the way it was originally built, but the fuel lines are all solid except for the short rubber hoses (USCG approved of course) that go between the "chassis" and the inlet side of the mechanical fuel pump. Not too keen on the idea of splicing in an in-line fuel filter, with rubber hoses. Seems like just another point to leak. My system already has a set of the Perko 299 fuel/water separators back at the tanks, all with solid fuel lines. I have seen as well, like Jeff said, these filters crack because they are rigidly mounted (saw it happen on Coastie's old M) but it is supposed to be mounted to a support bracket on the intake manifold and if not properly mounted, will vibrate. If you google the Chrysler part number, then cross it to NAPA, Wix, Fram, etc...they all supersede to the type with clamped on rubber hose. I think I may have to bite the bullet and engineer in a set of spin on filters.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
liquidplummer
Tin star

Post by liquidplummer »

Wholesale marine has them in stock @$34.99 each
Silver Queen St Louis Mo
1982 37 ft flybridge sedan twin 360 chryslers 1.91 velvet drives
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Yikes!

You can buy a case of NAPA jobs for that. Well, at least three or so.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington