Gas fillup, dilemma over

coastie1160870
Tin star

Re: Gas fillup, dilemma over

Post by coastie1160870 »

I have a 100 gallon transfer Tank in the back of my pick-up truck, and I haul my gasoline to the boat from the bulk plant. I get pure gasoline, most of the time, although I have also used 10% Ethanol in the boat, during the summer months. I have not had a problem in the last 40 +/- years that I have had a boat.. However.. I also have been known to burn 600 to 800 gallons, per season, and last year burned over 1000 gallons of gasoline for the boating season. No I don't have stock in B/P, but wish I did..! But then, I didn't buy a boat to watch it float at the dock... Some people do, and that's fine, but it's not for me..! I'm underway every day, all season long. I just enjoy bumping the dock every now and then....
R.A. Campbell
32 Sedan-Bridge
260 Chrysler Twins
" KOKOMO "
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

what's the estimated savings by not buying at the dock??
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

The price difference is THE reason I would self fuel our boat. Marinas notoriously overpriced their non-ethanol fuel. Case in point here in Cincinnati area the cost of non-ethanol gas was 3.65/gal up to 4.25/gal. A local gas company (Casey's) charged 2.89/gal for non-ethanol guel. So you're talking between .76/gal to 1.36/gal. Multiplied by, say 100 gal per fill up and you're into serious money. With the current economic conditions that's nothing to sneeze at.

I messed up using ethanol gas during the season and leaving it in full tanks, even though I did treat each 75 gallon tank with 64 oz of Seafoam gas treatment. Resulted in corroded innards of my carbs (which made them unable to be rebuilt.). My mechanic did say (as stated here in this thread) it should be ok to burn ethanol fuel during the season BUT to ensure the tanks were fuel of non-ethanol fuel at season's end (and to ensure the last run was using non-ethanol fuel - carbs full of good gas). (Hard) Lesson learned.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I recall paying nearly 4 bucks a gallon for marina fuel!

With the present "fuel crisis" they're practically giving it away. Bought some 87 octane the other day for $1.78 a gallon.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

bcassedy wrote:The price difference is THE reason I would self fuel our boat. Marinas notoriously overpriced their non-ethanol fuel. Case in point here in Cincinnati area the cost of non-ethanol gas was 3.65/gal up to 4.25/gal. A local gas company (Casey's) charged 2.89/gal for non-ethanol guel. So you're talking between .76/gal to 1.36/gal. Multiplied by, say 100 gal per fill up and you're into serious money. With the current economic conditions that's nothing to sneeze at. ...Bill
No question there is a big savings buying "inland". So, your point is quite well made. I wish I had been able to do that when gas topped $6 - remember that?
Periodically, though, I'd consider helping out the little guy selling at his/her dock. They are probably not getting rich selling to a relatively few boaters and having someone to turn to when you can't or forgot to bring your own gas is worth considering. We are seeing lots of these lessons today as small merchants struggle to keep the doors open.
Stay safe....
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
coastie1160870
Tin star

Post by coastie1160870 »

As for me, the marina was charging 3.99-9 per gallon. ($4.00) I get and haul 100 gallons each trip in my transfer tank, and last year at the bulk plant I paid between $1.89 to $2.09-9, per gallon.. Last year I used 1000 gallons of fuel.. My boat has two, 100 gallon tanks.. In one season I saved $1901.00, ( or more ), the cost of buying the tank, the electric pump, and three sections of hose to reach the boat, from my truck..!! This year, the savings will go directly to the boat account.. After two or thee years, the cost of two new carbs won't even matter..!
R.A. Campbell
32 Sedan-Bridge
260 Chrysler Twins
" KOKOMO "
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

There you go!

Sometimes I miss my boat--especially since I could afford to run it now!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Sometimes it becomes unfathomable as to the reasoning offered by marinas as to the logic of charging exorbitant prices for non-ethanol gas. I once asked the previous marina operator as to why the high price?
Three reasons:
1. They have a short season (not yearlong) to sell,
2. They really didn't want to sell gas (insurance, staffing, overhead).
3. Cost of buying small (for them) quantities was higher than a standard ethanol gas station.

Did some checking / calibration...
1. Short season -
-> True. But if you adjusted your selling price to take in the sheer volume of potential sales at a lower cost (they're pretty much the only "on river" gas station for a good number of miles (Aurora, In.), they'd make up in volume vs the high cost they're charging, and then some!
Benefits:
a. exposure could result in additional slip rentals. There are other marinas in the area but theirs could be the 'prime' one used by folks.
b. increase in volume could result in lower costs from wholesaler (#3 above).

2. Marina overhead costs -
-> Increase in sales would more than offset overhead costs directly increasing your bottom line in sales cost PLUS bottom line increases in exposure (slip rental for season / off season, 'on the hard' winter storage.

It would take a change in the mentality of the ownership as well. We won't go there again.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1621&p=11815#p11815
I will note that they finally got the hint and corrected the sign. But the owner's "I can't be wrong" when initially informed about it (and it stayed that way for months) and the "we don't really want to sell gas" attitude doesn't lend itself to a welcoming feeling for boaters.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.