Oil Leakage

Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Oil Leakage

Post by Leviathon »

Just throwing this out there. I have a major oil leak coming from the front of the engine (Chrysler). Looking for places to check. Literally losing a couple quarts on every trip we take. I have a special collection container under the engine so I can see what I can losing. I do not think it is coming from crank seal in the front. The reason I am thinking front is the fuel pump is the wettest point. :cry:
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Oil Leakage

Post by ddependo »

If not the crank, the only other place I think could be the fuel pump or pan gasket.
Check out Powerbuilt
"Fluorescent Leak Detection Flashlight Kit". The die goes in the oil And ultraviolet light shows where it is leaking.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Mechanic once used dye successfully to trace our leak. Works on cooling water system, too.

That said, next place to look is oil pressure sender where plastic top cracks way too often. Once, I was working in engine compartment and saw it crack before my eyes. That was lucky, because ten minutes later I would have been out, away from shore and perhaps suffered a seized engine. Always carried a couple of spares after that. Good luck in trbl shooting
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Recently saw a post from another person with same issue. Check your oil filter. A small pinhole can cause a large mess. The pin holes can come from a defect in the seam at the bottom plate joint.

The oil pan bolts can come loose over time. Again, a small hole hole under 60-80 PSI causes a large mess. Give the bolts a quick check.

I had oil leaks on our starboard engine at purchase. Cleaned the entire engine with Dawn soap and sponge. Then, watched for leaks. The extra effort paid off. It turned out to be valve cover leaks. However, it was impossible to diagnose with the mass amount of grime covering the engine.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

If your fuel pump is covered in oil, check the small hole just in front of it on the block (facing forward and up). This is where the dipstick tube for i/o marine and auto aplications goes. There should be a plug in this hole. Most rebuilders forget to put the plug in.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Thanks - I can definately see a drip from the oil filter adapter, so I will attempt to replace that seal. I will check in front of the fuel pump to see if there is a leak there as well.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan