Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

Post by shade2u2 »

How often should these Perko 299 filters be changed?
Can they be cleaned?
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Long as the filter element isn't crumbling, they should last indefinitely with a good cleaning. Mine looked fine after nearly 30 years.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

@jralbert... I was able to get back to the boat after all the snow to retrieve the batteries and inspect the fuel/water separator. No issues! The assemblies came apart as they should. The Port-side inside of the assembly was apart (top was unscrewed from the filter holder) so I simply tightened them back together... filters both intact. A decent amount of crud on the bottom of each separator but I think nothing out of the ordinary. Nice to see that task is a simple check I will do it 2x per summer. Thanks for support.
P.S. I will never wait till November to winterize after 10 degF this morning!! (11/13) Glad I'm done and wrapped!!!
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

A quick note. My 1975 37' has these as well, one for each engine. They work great and do what they're supposed to. I know this because one summer she started running rough (the second year of ownership) and I attempted to drain them. Drains were frozen shut, so I took the complete unit out of the boat, took it home to clean it up (mine has a special bronze mount the houses both as a complete unit). both were halfway full of gunky, rusty water ! Thinking that the little cartridges are extinct, I bought a gallon can of carb cleaner from Napa, took 'em apart and soaked all the parts for a days. All looked brand new and have doing well ever since. Now I just crack them open every spring, into a plastic cup.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio