Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

Post by jralbert »

wmgill wrote:Thanks for the input. Since my post I called Perko who won't sell retail, but has plenty in stock. Their part number is 0324001ELM for the 1 3/4" jobs and 0324002ELM for the bigger ones. With that p/n I had no trouble finding them and ordered a couple more. I didn't really want to replace them with the "modern" stuff, and now won't. I just rebuilt my carburetors a couple years ago, and don't think the problem is with the screens, but when I replaced a fuel pump I ended up buying a tubing bender to redo the plumbing because it twisted itself into a mess while removing the fitting. :-)
You didn't reference my mention of the little filters, the CG-11's - I think you should replace those first. I don't think they're a Perko item. More like Fram or other conventional filter maker.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

Thanks Carl, I do that routinely, but will watch them more closely as part of the trouble isolation. It's a good possibility as my tanks were almost dry when this all started. I had some stuff that supposedly "dried out" and "rejuvenated" stored gas a few years ago, if I can remember what it was, and where I got it I will try that, and post the specifics.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
Twin 360 Chrysler Marines
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

Joel,
I don't think they're the culprits because they were replaced relatively recently (2 years ago), but will look them over anyway. One of the reasons was both engines simultaneously choking. That logic applies to the Perkos, but cleaning and replacing seemed to resolve the issue, but only temporarily.
Between you and Carl, I have a couple things I need to watch closer while trying to isolate the cause. Will keep everyone posted.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I am going to be a cynic here and don't mean at all to insult so consider this a post from the guy who thinks the emperor is really naked: I am very skeptical of any product that touts itself as rejuvenating stale fuel. I do believe the fuel stabilizers are preventatives (for a period of time, not indefinitely). What you reference may somehow "absorb" water or perhaps make it bind a little better to gasoline and so that could be what they term "rejuvenation". For me, that is sales baloney aimed at extracting a couple of bucks. At the same time, I don't think they cause harm.

And do revisit the filter thing. I'd love to be wrong (and very often that is the case). But the symptoms are so consistent with them being clogged.

One other non filter thought: could be there's a clog in the piping near the tanks (and to or at the point where it splits off to each engine) causing a restricted flow to both engines. Perhaps you can disassemble and blow some air through.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

i too am skeptical of "rejuvenation" claims. and sales BS. This stuff supposedly was developed for large storage facilities (thousands of gallons) which may be sales BS, but something in my research at the time made me put some faith in it, I just don't remember the details.
I haven't ruled out the screens, but there are very few hours on them. I am leaning toward condensation build up because it looked like cleaning (soaking in Chem Dip) the filters seemed to temporarily resolved the issue. Thinking about it draining the bowls and replacing them would have drained any water buildup at the separator, which built up again after a short while (more likely than clean filters re-clogging that quickly). I should have paid closer attention.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Just noted that you said above your tanks were almost dry when this started. Dry tanks are said to leave lots of room for air and thus, water condensing out of it. So you may have a case of lots of H2O in the tanks which the Perkos, drained frequently, will take care of. You may also have fuel that has separated which leaves gunk at the bottom and that means you'll not only have to drain but clean the elements as well. You'll get it straightened out.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

Well, don't know if this is good news or bad news. Fuel from both separators is clean and water free. I'm not surprises, because both engines are purring like large kittens, responding to revving w/o hesitation, and don't stall when put under load at idle (putting her in gear, pulling against dock lines).
On 1 hand this supports the water in gas theory, if you assume the removing/replacing/purging got any water and/or contaminate out already. On the other, I can't swear the fuel bled out on previous occasions was bad, because I didn't start with clean, empty jars before.
New filters will arrive in a couple days. Then I will have a set of clean elements to swap out, if needed, and will be able to test outside of the slip. Will let you know.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

In regards to the fuel/water separator, I have (likely) the original bronze perko 299 for each engine. Can someone tell me the basic maintenance or operation of the units? I've had the boat for 2 full seasons and I haven't touched them. I want to know what I should do to service or maintain them as I ready for winterizing?
(1) -Drain from the bottom?
-take the top off and remove filter ?
tips, tricks?

Additional fuel-related question.
(2) Is it necessary to turn fuel lines 'off' during/after winterizing?

Thank you!
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

You're overdue for a look at the separators. It's a quick and easy process. Here's what I recall doing. Loosen the top. Remove the bottom screw bolt - be VERY careful not to drop it - and the contents will empty into the bowl or container you are holding below the screw. Rag handy - you WILL get a few drops of fuel on your fingers I think the separator holds a couple of pints of liquid. Try to use a clear container so it's easy to see the water (heavier than fuel, it will sink to the bottom) in the fuel.

you can take out the filter from the top and check for crud which you rinse out with a mild solvent or run air thru. The ceramic cartridges are long-lived.

No other tips or tricks from me - Just reassemble, no need to winterize.

Service the filters a couple of times a season or more frequently if you see a lot of water in the fuel when you drain.

No need to turn off fuel lines as part of winterizing. and please let us know how it goes / went for you
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

easy enough... can't wait to check this task off the list... 2 year anniversary with the boat and learning something new every time!!

Thank you for your input!
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA