Proper Carb Size for 318

BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Re: Proper Carb Size for 318

Post by BlueSkye »

I replaced the 1972 Carters with 1409s years ago and am very pleased. According to Edelbrock the 1410s are too big. Summit Racing tech support advised that 40 year old carbs were very likely shot with plugged drill holes no longer plugged due to leaching. My mileage improved maybe 10%. The flame arrestors for the Edelbrocks are much taller (less air restriction) than the ones the Carters had, but there was enough clearance under the hatch for them.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I saw similar mileage improvements on mine as well with the 11409s.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tjc7t7

Post by tjc7t7 »

I just took the 1409 off my 318 after a couple years. The original Carter was leaking through the body like mentioned above. The low end adjustability of the edelbrock did not impress me at all. I do a lot of trolling and was never real happy with it. This year I put a Holley 650 single pumper on with an adaptor plate and there is a night and day difference. I would never go back. It's so much easier to dial in. I would like to sell that 1409 if anyone is interested. Maybe It just needs someone smarter than me to get it right. I know a lot of guys run them.
1984 28 Express hardtop single 318. Lake Erie Jefferson Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

What are you asking for it?

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Educate me and the rest on difference in the Holley, Edlbrock and the Carter. Had my Carters rebuilt, at not what I precieve as cheap and of this writing I still question if it was money well spent. They seem to work fine, far better than before, but the question still lingers.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Whats wrong with a quadrajet?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
tjc7t7

Post by tjc7t7 »

There is all kind of articles online comparing holley vs. edelbrock. Im no expert but this is just what i ran into. The old original carter carb was not worth fixing. Most posts here led me to the 1409 so thats what i started with. I installed the carb and tuned it the best i could. The boat idled fine but as soon as you would give it just a little throttle it would jump several hundred rpm. This is not ideal for trolling when a half a mile per hour can make a difference. I originally thought it was in the ignition and up dated it with no difference. I have a friend who is an engine builder who has a lot of experience with quadra jets. He raced dirt track for years and that was the spec carb they had to use. He tuned it for me but still wasnt where it needed to be. He informed me that these carbs were noted for that and there adjustability was much less than a holley. Thats when he talked me into making the switch when he said he was confident the holley could be adjusted to correct the issues i was having. After i installed the holley and he adjusted it there is a smooth transition from an idle up to cruising speed. also the edelbrock always stared hard after sitting for a while, the fuel seemed
to drain back. The holley fires right up like it just ran. As for how much for my old 1409. I will take 75 if you pay shipping.
1984 28 Express hardtop single 318. Lake Erie Jefferson Ohio