Reverse rotation?

Boatin2
Tin star

Reverse rotation?

Post by Boatin2 »

Hey everyone. I am looking at a possible worst case scenario of a repower this spring. :cry: I am looking at reman engines instead of using the one I have because the cost is close to the same and I will be able to swap much faster. That being said I am 3 hours from my boat and am not positive on the rotation. I want to say its reverse but cant remember. Does anyone else know for sure if the 1970 single screw is reverse or standard?
Thanks, Mike
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Reverse rotation?

Post by jralbert »

(pls don't rely on this answer because it's just a guess and I'm willing to be wrong in public) There doesn't seem to be the need for reverse rotation in a single screw. But it's def required for twins. If you're impatient for an answer you can google it
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I had always thought the singles were all reverse rotators but I may be wrong. The firing order is a dead give-away. If you switch, I would thin you have to change the trans & prop as well or you will have to drive around backwards.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

In most cases, not all, if your helm is on the starboard side, then you will have a reverse rotation engine.

There are a few exceptions:
There is certain gear reduction velvet drive that has the output opposite direction from the input.
A flywheel forward engine in this scenario would be standard rotation. This should not be a concern with chrysler engines as I don't think I have ever seen a flywheel forward chrysler.

Again, this is USUALLY the case, in MOST inboard boats. There are always exceptions though.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Evening guys,
My 72 28' single 318, helm on starboard side, is standard, rh rotation. (When the damn things running)
May be on the road to recovery, I'll let you know.
Regards to all,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
A good example of engine rotation.

http://www.ebasicpower.com/faq/starterrotate.htm

Hope it helps.

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

I agree firing order and the spacer under the distributor is a quick way to I.D. them not running.
Attachments
orig setup.jpg
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Thanks everyone. I plan on heading up this weekend to see her for the first time since fall so I will know for sure then. The reverse rotation engine seems to be a little more expensive or take longer to get. I would just like to be able to get a full season in this year if possible with no issues :shock: . Things just seem to break on an old boat, I know you guys understand what I mean.
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Like other have said, there are many ways that one can check what the rotation is, with the easiest being, just cranking it over. Rockxx, rh rotation is not standard, it is opposite rotation.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

You have to be careful when using the term "standard rotation" in the marine industry. That term only came about when the automotive engines started to be marinized and was only used by rebuilders and such. The industry standard has always been right hand and left hand rotation as viewed from aft. This goes back to steam engines and direct reversing gas, oil, hot bulb and diesel engines where there was no standard rotation.

99.9% of engines go by the balancer end of the engine for rotation, and call clockwise standard rotation.

There are always exceptions, and back in the 50's and 60's there was alot of confusion.
Example, graymarine v8c and v8cf engines as well as the famed chris craft 327F and 327Q. One sits in the boat forward and the other is flipped around with the transmission bolted to the balancer end of the engine.

Makes for a fun time when trying to find somebody parts over the phone.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson