Raw Water Intake

mytoy28

Raw Water Intake

Post by mytoy28 »

Hello fellow Marinette owners, I'm planning to install a Jabsco electric toilet, Can I install a raw water manifold right after the seacock for the engine, for toilet water supply. Or is there a better way of doing.
All help is greatly appreciated.

John
John Visser
1984 28` Sportsman F.B.
Twin Crusader 229 CI 220 HP
Killarney Bay, Killarney, ON, Canada
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Raw Water Intake

Post by GB49 »

You can put an intake anywhere you have access to make a hole. The intake for my head is under entry to the fwd cabin on the 32'.
If you are looking in the engine room for intake location I'm assuming you have a 28 with the head on the aft right side of the cabin?
Just be sure to seal everything with 3M 4200 or 5200 if you never intend to remove it.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

You sure you don't have one already? My 32 has not only an intake for the toilet but a discharge too. Discharge is capped off, everything now goes to a holding tank, have considered using the the old discharge as an intake for a washdown pump.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

On my 37' (can't remember what brand toilet), Marinette actually welded in an aluminum pipe through the bottom of the hull and is tack welded to all the stringers. Pokes through just under the floor board between the v-berth and galley. Plumbed midway in it is a tiny Jabsco raw water screen filter to keep the shiners out. I figured they were all built like that.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Just noticed his name is Mytoy28. Assuming he has a 28.....We had a 1989, 28 with the traveler head (single tank under bowl). Toilet water was supplied by the freshwater tank & pump which was a waste of water given the tiny tank.
2 pump out ports on topside (1 suction pump out and 1 macerator). Marinette supplied a threaded 3' hose for the macerator port to hang over the side a pump out. No pump out under hull.

It seems the 32+ boats had a more elaborate setup with separate tank, underwater discharge and raw intake so not to waste fresh water.
Forum member since 1998.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Be careful not to allow the engine water pump to suck air in from the head,

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
louism58
Tin star

Post by louism58 »

There are so many holes in my hull I would be surprised if you need to add a new one.
2 Motor intakes
1 Gen intake
1 Washdown intake
1 AC system intake
1 Head intake

If you have it out of the water take a good look a round and make sure you can identify what each of the holes you already have do.

Louis
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

I see now. He wants to T off an existing hose? Would never consider doing that under the waterline. Too many elbows & hose clamps to fail. Make a new hole and do it correctly, imo.
Don't want to end up in the BoatUS magazine claims section.
Forum member since 1998.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

There is also (as I said above) the possibility of sucking air into the motor cooling stream, and you'd be surprised how little air can causer big problems.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Fastjeff wrote:There is also (as I said above) the possibility of sucking air into the motor cooling stream, and you'd be surprised how little air can causer big problems.

Jeff

Good point Jeff! Also consider hose volume issues although its not like the toilet is flushing constantly while the engine or generator or AC is running or whatever hose you decide to "T" into but it could be a variable that should be acknowledged.
Forum member since 1998.