Post by jennis9 »

32 Express

• capac read .9 all all last summer
• bottom paint shows some light popcorn/electrolysis
• anodes still look good - but showed some wear after pull out last october
• there was bottom paint underneath some of the anodes
• no anodes on prop shafts, not pitting on props

Action plan:
• vacuumed the entire hull -- currently pulled a red wire wired directly form the battery with painters tape at the end (uggh), plus a 1/8 cup of mixed metal debris
• sand the electrolysis spots, spot prime and paint
• remove all paint from under the anode areas so there is metal/metal contact
• apply new anodes from boatzincs.com (keeping old ones, but want to be sure we're starting from scratch to see results)
• added egg anodes to nshafts
• going to drop a second measuring device to see if it reads the same as the capac (test capac)
'• check galvonic isolator
• double check all ground

I think that should cover it -- if we pull up in the fall and there is no more electrolysis, I will soda blast the bottom to bare and get a solid bottom barrier on.

anything else to look for? capac seems deceiving, the numbers were in range and we checked often.
dont want to blast and paint if there's still evidence of electrolysis

JS9
FINALLY GOT IT!
1986 Marinette Express 32
w/twin Chrysler 318s
Located on Lake Erie
FCYC, Cleveland, OH
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Borttom Paint and electrolysis

Post by jralbert »

If I were you, I would do exactly what you're doing. trusting but verifying capac is a good idea then if 2nd tester comes it at the same level, you can trust the Capac. If not, check whatever needs to be checked.
-Anodes should show wear - it means theyt are doing their job
-I was always cheap about anodes. If hull anodes showed up to half wear, I strapped them together with other worn ones to makes whole and discarded when they were really used up. Very Swiss cheesy.
- God save whomever pained the anodes
-Shafts should not need anodes if they are isolated properly. But one never knows and I always kept one on the shaft (unused ones are available for sale - please help clean up Mr Albert's garage) just because. They never showed signs of wear so shafts must have been isolated.
enjoy the summer
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD