Paint Stripper

EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Paint Stripper

Post by EWRice »

As I begin my repainting project, I am removing hardware and realizing how many layers of paint are actually there. Has anyone used Aircraft Paint Stripper on their boats? From what I am reading this is the easiest way to remove paint from aluminum.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Paint Stripper

Post by javalin390 »

I have, and the reason it's call aircraft stripper is because it's used on aircraft, obviously, and airplanes are made out of the same thing as Marinettes. Bubbles the paint right off and leaves the aluminum clean as new.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Jim,

Question - given aluminum's propensity for self-creating a oxidation layer that will prevent paint from adhering properly, what would you recommend/advise for post treatment with the stripper?

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You need to treat the aluminum with a prime containing acid that etches the surface, turning it unto something paint will adhere to. Lots of brands out there. Spray or roller it on, let it sits for X minutes, then hose it off. When dry, then on goes the epoxy barrier coats (at least two) followed by the anti-fouling.

Boy, am I glad I now trailer my boat!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

A short add to Jeff's good note: apply that barrier coat as quickly as possible. Not tomorrow -- but within a few hours.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Right! Soon as the water from the rinse is gone.

You have to watch the weather forecast and plan this move out carefully, starting early in the morning. Lots of fun!

Good luck.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Have ordered a gallon from Advance Auto Parts with pu at one of their local store. Got a 20% discount. About 28.50. Will give you folks a follow up on ease of use/effectiveness.

Going to do transom this spring. Showing a lot of "need" in painting area. Will strip, rinse, etch, dry (wipe and leaf blower :D ), and then a coat (or 2 if daylight permits) of 2 part epoxy primer. Going to finish paint with 3 coats of Interlux Pacifica paint I have from previous year's painting.

Going to paint rest of bottom with another brand (undecided as of yet).

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Want to add one note - while we all have fairly good advice for you (modestly speaking), you would do well to have a short chat with the Interlux tech people or get one of their how-to sheets. There's a fair amount of effort involved and getting it done correctly will save you work and money in the long run.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Using a leaf blower is a brilliant idea!

Jeff