Dri-Dek

Maestro
Aluminum Star

Dri-Dek

Post by Maestro »

Anyone have Dri-dek on their BigM ? If so, what do you think of it?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1061229
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Dri-Dek

Post by EWRice »

I have never been on a boat that used it topside, but many of the bigger vessels I work on use it in the engine rooms. It keeps stuff dry, but collects stuff under it. You can hose it down many times, then pick it up and you will be shocked at what has accumulated.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
louism58
Tin star

Post by louism58 »

I used it on the aft deck for a couple of years then took it off

Out int he hot sun it gets very soft and mushy feeling, held up but was kind of weird

Also cleaning under it is a pain if you cover the whole deck. You have to pull it up in sections clean the deck and ten put it back

Was all workable

Louis
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

EWRice wrote: It keeps stuff dry, but collects stuff under it. You can hose it down many times, then pick it up and you will be shocked at what has accumulated.
Another vote for this assessment and that of Lewis. It does protect the deck but dust, dirt are trapped even in an area you hose down or gets rained on. That grime, left unwashed regularly, stains paint. I took mine off the boat and use it in the garage to keep my drums off the cement floor. Also, the plastic used for the product is not easy to clean - never come up quite right without a strong bleach solution.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

Thanks for the info guys! I'm looking for lower cost (can I even use that term regarding a boat?) deck coating options.

I re-did my cockpit deck a little over a year ago. It had all the issues common to aging BigM cockpit decks.

Replaced with new marine plywood and coated it with a product called Overton's Tuff Coat. It's a rubberized nonskid. It is very tough, but does not stay clean very well. Used white, so there's my first problem. Probably should have gone tan or grey. I have scrubbed with mild detergent and pressure washed, still does not really come clean.

I have considered topcoating it with the tan version of the same product, but I think it still would not clean up well. Too much texture, things get stuck in it.

Any suggestions? I would LOVE PlasTeak or similar, but that's not in the budget right now. Would like to avoid vinyl or carpet.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Used Race Deck on my pontoon, for my application it works great. Dogs, kids, me climbing in and out with muddy feet, spilled beer, etc. washes right through, have a large pump on the dock with plenty of pressure and volume. Installs easy, many colors, uv stable. Don't know how well it would work with hatches but on a stationary application its great, looks good too.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.