Chrysler marine replacement distributors

jmonday
Aluminum Star

Re: Chrysler marine replacement distributors

Post by jmonday »

Call them and ask for Roger Wilkinson He is a really good guy and I sent him prints that should have corrected the problem.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Roger has been my contact throughout the test. He has been very helpful. Now the spacer.. You remove from from the OLD OEM dist. (STB engine) and the Pertronix Dist. dropped right in no problem. Pertronix did not supply the spacer for the counter rotating engine. (STB)

This is on 318's 1987 boat with 'original 1986 engines with log manifolds and Electronic Ignitions. These were not modified OEM dist. I removed them and replaced with new test Pertronix units.

I had some slop in the port... we sent it back and they inspected and it was fine. I have had no problems with these test units.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I'll call Roger Wilkinson and hope he does the mod for me. I have the thruster sleeve so its a matter of trimming the step on the shaft down a 1/2 in
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

As you can see on the photos the new on is longer on the flange. The O.E.M distributor is the same both sides and the sleeve on a ccw motor is the only difference one has it and the CW does not use it. I really think they had a mistake on the last batch of housing and they will correct it. I will also let Roger know about it again when I send him the notes on corrosion this year.
Good Luck.
Attachments
compare.jpg
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Marysville Marine sells a Mallory electronic distributor kit that I have used for a few seasons with good luck, no corrosion at all.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Just got an update from Roger at Pertronix. He has confirmed that they have seen three versions of the thrust collar used on the reverse rotation motors and they have modified the design to accommodate all . presently until they can manufacture new they ask for the O.D. I.D. and length of the thrust collar and e-mail it to them to make sure they have the correct change. I will be ordering another unit for a friend this week and will post the outcome.
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Excellent news! It took a while for these guys (and other manufacturers) to realize that thrust collar is needed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Jeff I would normally agree but I have worked with 5 distributors now ranging from late 60's to mid 70's years and they all are the same length on the flange. What I really think is they have lost the original design and made a batch from a new drawing and they think the sleeve is the problem. They have been really good people to me and I would like to help them in any way. From my finding even the car version is the same length as the marine. (have a friend with a 383 that I put my old one in to test over the winter.) If it is the sleeve Mallory and all the other brands should be seeing the same problem. I have not been doing this long 3 years now with my M but getting this correct makes for a good running boat.
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Machined my thrust collar. I drop it in this weekend to see.

Needed to go 1/8 deeper and put a brake on the hole to get it to seat. Now I don't have to be held hostage by mallory or sierra for $700 distributors (I just saw a sale for $320 each)

I'll post pics and let you know if it doesn't explode
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Great I agree. Once you get it to fit the rest is all good. This is my second year on the evaluation for corrosion with the latest parts. I will be ordering another one in the next couple weeks. That sounds like a good price where did you see it for that?
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY