Chrysler marine replacement distributors

bobv
Tin star

Re: Chrysler marine replacement distributors

Post by bobv »

The chrysler 318 uses the same dist on both engines, There is no such thing as a reversing dist for these engines. They are a little more expensive then chevy's. Stuff for these engines are getting expensive since they stopped making the 318. The firing order is different and a spacer is user on the reverse engine.
Bob
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

The chevys had it right. Chrysler made it a bit more difficult, but at least it's not a Graymarine Rambler engine. They use something like 6 different distributors (prior to '64) and reversed the gear helix on reverse rotation engines. I still run the original points distributors on my 318s. I take the cap off and soak all the internals with wd40 every spring and fall. No corrosion issues.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
drgonzo
New poster

Post by drgonzo »

I put MSD Distributors in my 440's with 6A boxes hiding under the black plastic main breaker cover. I believe the MSD for the 318 is a drop in unit as well. The only complaint I have is the loss of my Judson engine sync but the fuel economy clearly makes up for the loss
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

OK - I had the sleeve/spacer machined an 1/8 in deeper to accommodate the Pertronix Distributor (and other distributor replacements)

Had enough material and can now use any kind of replacement. Works well (got about 20 hours on it)
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Just received the Pertronix in for my friends 67 M after sending Roger the spacer measurements it came if perfect.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

You mod the distributor or spacer?
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Now that they have the correct space dimensions for that year Chrysler engine that is great. My test units were perfect from the get go on my 1986 318 engine with log style manifolds. They started with center drops somewhere in 87 production after they used up the log styles.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

drgonzo - so those MSD distributors were just a drop in replacement for both of your 440s?

When you say 6A boxes, are you referring to this item: https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... parts/6560 ???

My single 440 (RH rotation) still has the original distributor and SO FAR is working great but I'm just waiting for the day the gremlins show up...

I'm assuming the MSD ignition box replaces all of the OEM Chrysler ignition components? Thanks...
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

You have to be sure that any distributor is marine ignition protected, I don't know enough about the MSD distributors to tell you that they are or are not rated for marine use. I have seen many people drop in auto chevy dist. in gm marine motors, most not knowing that they creating a dangerous condition. Do your homework and make sure that everything that goes into the engine compartment is Igniton protected.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Pertronix made the distributor to work with the spacer this way we can still use the old O.E.M. for a backup. In the near future the new lot of pertronix will fit all from what they are telling me. If anyone is going to order one I would take the dimensions of the spacer and give them a call before placing order. Good People to work with.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY