iboats
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
bobv
Tin star

Re: Chrysler marine replacement distributors

Post by bobv »

I also used the pertronix in my boat the engines both use the same distributor there is nothing special about the reverse engine distributor.
I also checked with Hurrikain (spoke to Dave he also confirmened that the reverse engine uses the same distributor nothing special. I sent my pertronix back because of rust they replaced them with new ss ones. The ss ones also rusted but not as bad the only things on the distributors that did not rust were the springs. I have to spray and clean the rust off on a regular bassis.I keep the boat in salt water I guess this enviroment is a lot harsher then fresh water.
Bob
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

My findings are about the same as bobv. Very light rust but manageable. No corrosion on springs only light on advance. I spray spring and fall wipe down and this is season FOUR for these test Pertronix. Also the distributors are exactly the same. When I installed just pull spacer off the STBD and in they went with no issues. They have performed flawlessly so far.

Safe Boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Photos anyone? This doesn't seem possible with mine. I'll upload pics this weekend
Miami FL & Catawba OH
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

What doesn't seem possible?
I know I searched every distributer manufacturer and there is only one distributor for a chrysler small block, reguardless of the rotation!
I wasted a lot of time trying to find a reversing distributor, ( there is no such thing for a small block chrysler)!
Bob
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Thats why we'll put up pics :)

With my mod, I won't have that issue anymore
Miami FL & Catawba OH
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Here is the photo of my Distributors. Both the New Pertronix Billets are Identical.
The Original Prestolite is on the LEFT. Notice the adapter. You remove the adapter (which was pretty tight) and slip it on the Pertonix unit and drop her in. That's all there is to it.

STBD Adapter Collar for Reverse Rotation
STBD Adapter Collar for Reverse Rotation
Dist Pertronix Install2.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 11230 times

Safe Boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Dave you are correct that is what should happen but mine was the wrong length and I sent mine back with a detailed drawing of the sleeve and my O.E.M distributor.(this way I could always use my O.E.M. as a backup) if you cut the sleeve you then lose the factory setup. I find it hard to believe the they have three lengths because I have used my old distributor to check out others boats with CW and CCW motors and like you say on will have the sleeve the other will be without. I even used a friends car distributor in mine. Roger has been really good about fixing the problem but from what I'm reading on here sound like Mallory and others distributor makers may have run into the same problem. you can see in my photo the difference in the flange thickness.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Sorry to keep posting so much about this but when you go through it first had and you know the dang small block distributors have to all be the same. Its the only way I know to help Pertronix out. They do have a good product for the price. They are still in the game to keep these old boats going.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Chevyking
New poster

Post by Chevyking »

On my Chevys only the crank counter rotates. Same dist works for both engines. Two distributors from Rock Auto 160 bucks with cap and rotors. I assume the counter rotation Chrysler is not the same...?...