Boat zincs

tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Re: Boat zincs

Post by tundrarules »

You guys joke :lol: I pulled my boat out for pre-purchase inspection. Some bozo put standard sheet aluminum on as anodes. Last owner got ripped off by some shade tree drunk. Lucky the boat was in freshwater.
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM

Some more on boat zincs. AKA Anodes.

https://performancemetals.com/pages/sac ... nodes-faqs :D

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
1961Express
New poster

Post by 1961Express »

I purchased a 1961 Marinette 31 this winter that came with several feet of extra bar type extruded anodes. The owner stated that they had been ordered from a gentlemen that purchased most of the new old stock items from Aluminum Cruisers Inc. when it went out of business. He also stated that they were a proprietary alloy that was used specifically for Marinette boats.

This interested me greatly - as I am a welding engineer, and have access to metallurgical analysis equipment. I took a few chunks of the unobtanium to work and used an X-ray fluorescence analyzer to see what it was - and it yielded the following:

Fe - 1.69%
Cu - 0.83%
Zn - 89.98%
W - 7.50%

The addition of 7.50% tungsten was definitely a shocker, as tungsten is considerably more cathodic than the other elements, and there was no small amount of it. Definitely more than would be expected as a "tramp" element - one that presents in the alloy simply as an impurity left over from the ore from which the alloy is process.

I was really getting excited now! What is this stuff?! Is this the real McCoy, the mysterious Sealium 150, code name KA90?! I honestly have no idea, but it did make me wonder.

If anyone has bona fide chunk of the original "Sealium 150/KA90" and is interested in finding out what this mystery metal is really made of, my curiosity is getting the better of me. Please let me know. I need about a 1" chunk in order to analyze it.

For an even more thorough addition to the Marinette community database, if anyone has a small chunk of the material from boatzincs.com that is supposedly made to MIL-A-24779, an analysis of that material can be made as well. The B.Z. website says the following:

"These anode strips are made of Mil-Spec A-24779(SH) aluminum alloy (also called KA90 or SEALLOY 150 by Marinette Yachts). They are extruded bars with rounded edges that can be drilled and bolted to bare metal with stainless steel fasteners."

I find the BZ statement unlikely, as the correct specification is "MIL-A-24779", and it seems highly unlikely that a proprietary alloy would fulfill the requirements of both a proprietary material specification, and a military one as well, even though it is technically possible. It would be an interesting thing to find out.