counter tops

bill
Royal Aluminum Star

counter tops

Post by bill »

BigM
:idea: Has anyone looked into this for replacing our worn and dated formica countertops :?:

https://www.granitetransformations.com/ ... -it-works/

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: counter tops

Post by Rockit »

That is very interesting. On my 28, I took the galley and head counters to a shop where they made new ones for me--from a better grade of laminate. I gave them precise measurements of the tops of the hanging locker and cabinets between the dinette and v-berth and glued the new laminate pieces on top of the old formica. (Obviously after rouging and cleaning it.) Much to my surprise all three pieces fit perfectly. You can get some very good looking laminate these days and for the boat you don't need to buy much of it. (The same shop made very nice tops for the kitchen in one of our old houses using laminate that imitated granite. It came out surprisingly well.)

I'd also consider going to a countertop shop and asking to see their scrap pile. (They mess up from time to time and will give you a good price on something in the scrap pile.) It's likely you'd find a nice piece of quartz or granite that could be used to make new tops for the boat.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio