Sea Hawk Bottom Paint REVIEW

Maestro
Aluminum Star

Sea Hawk Bottom Paint REVIEW

Post by Maestro »

This is a positive review for Sea Hawk Mission Bay copper-free antifouling.

A few seasons ago, I had the bottom of the hull blasted and I applied Interlux Interprotect 2000e epoxy primer. Used Interlux Micron CF as the antifouling at that time. The primer has held up great. The Micron CF was very disappointing to me. Wore off very quickly. So, the following season I tried a cheap paint - Jamestown TotalBoat Krypton. Nope. Poor antifouling performance and it flaked off in many spots.

So this spring, I sanded the hull lightly with 80 grit to remove loose paint. I then applied a single coat of Sea Hawk 1277 primer. It's a rubberized, highly sticky tie coat type primer (also it is very inexpensive!) After that I applied about 4 coats of Sea Hawk Mission Bay antifouling. I just pulled the boat for a mid-season check up and the paint is doing great. My only complaint is that there is a scum line right at the waterline where the paint dries out and is less effective. All of the true underwater surfaces are in awesome shape.

Mission bay is not cheap but it's definitely working well for me. Based on my results so far I would highly recommend it to other BigM captains.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Sea Hawk Bottom Paint REVIEW

Post by Fastjeff »

The waterline is a hard place to protect, with air and water doing their deviltry.

Sounds like we have a winner! What type water are you slipped in?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

Slipped in fresh water, fairly muddy and lots of algae.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440

Green Bay, WI
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Nasty stuff! Suffered through that as well on mine. I used Trilux 33 and had to scrub the waterline regularly. Still looked bad, though.

What color are you running? We went to black to cover the mess better (though brown, if available, would have been even better).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

:| Hope I get better results with the Micron CF. Painting the bottom with a coat of white and then a coat of black. Boat's on blocks and won't go into water (Ohio River) till next spring.
Will "back pocket" the info on Sea Hawk bottom paint when she's next pulled from water in fall 2018 and pressure washed.
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

I am using red but have considered going to black since it is so hard to keep the brighter colors looking good.

Also, all the red paints seem to fade to pink at the waterline which I'm not a huge fan of.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440

Green Bay, WI