28 Express in rough shape in north central IL

Toomanyprojects
New poster

28 Express in rough shape in north central IL

Post by Toomanyprojects »

I have a 1973 28 Express I am looking to sell. This is just the boat, I have no trailer. The boat has a single Chrysler 318 and no fly bridge. The boat is located at Starved Rock Marina in Ottawa, IL. I am posting here before anywhere else in hopes that someone will want it for being a Marinette, not just its scrap value.

Here's a brief history of my ownership, and why I'm selling. I bought the boat mid 2018 and had a blast. Towards the end of the season I ran aground and bent the prop. Over the winter the marina removed the prop and checked out the driveshaft and all that, they said everything else was fine. They sent the prop off to be checked out and the place was able to fix it. 2019 we had a lot of spring flooding and the boat didnt get back in the water till mid season. First time out, the engine quit about a mile upriver. No noise, no shake, nothing, just off. It would crank freely but wouldn't start and I had to get towed back in. Try as I might, I could not find the problem. The boat came out of the water for the winter with plans of having the marina check it out the next spring. Then the pandemic hit, so we left the boat in the air. The boat is still outside on stands at the marina. Sometime over this past winter, something plugged the drain hole and the hull started holding water. The water made it up to the engine pan, seacocks, and over some of the cabin floor. There water did not make it to the top of the pan/bottom of the block. The interior is pretty much covered in mildew and/or mold. Like my username says, I have too many other projects going on to be able to save this boat.

I don't have any pictures that are small enough to post but can get some if there is interest. I think $1000 is a fair price. If you dont, make an offer.
Charlesthone
New poster

hola

Post by Charlesthone »

“I haven’t seen you in these parts,” the barkeep said, sidling over to where I sat. “Designation’s Bao.” He stated it exuberantly, as if say of his exploits were shared aside settlers about many a fire in Aeternum.

He waved to a expressionless hogshead hard by us, and I returned his indication with a nod. He filled a telescope and slid it to me across the stained red wood of the bar in the vanguard continuing.

“As a betting houseman, I’d be ready to wager a above-board bit of coin you’re in Ebonscale Reach on the side of more than the wet one's whistle and sights,” he said, eyes glancing from the sword sheathed on my in to the capitulate slung across my back.

https://images.google.tl/url?q=https:// ... new-world/
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 28 Express in rough shape in north central IL

Post by Busia »

Obvious scam! No one would make a bar out of redwood.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Toomanyprojects
New poster

Since there was no interest here, or elsewhere, we ended up giving the boat to the marina as a last ditch effort to keep it from being scrapped. They're going to be checking it out during the off season and deciding what they're going to do.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

It's not that there was no interest. With hyper inflation on the way smart people aren't taking on any new and $$$ projects.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Any update on this one? Hate to see a good M go to scrap.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Toomanyprojects
New poster

No real update, no.

Starved Rock Marina now owns the boat. They seemed optimistic about getting it back to useable shape. I have no idea of a timeline, they have a number of project boats out back. At the very least, they gave no indication of planning on scrapping it, so that's good.