looking for trailer/info for 1970 28'

Va7thson
New poster

looking for trailer/info for 1970 28'

Post by Va7thson »

I'm looking for any help and info as to a proper trailer to relocate a 28' wo flying bridge from western Ky to Va. I'm willing to purchase a new or used trailer or maybe rent. This is a project boat that I would hate to scrap and now must relocate and I only have a cpl weeks to make happen. I'm not the smartest guy out there, being I'm willing to invest in a trailer for a boat that most would scrap, but sometimes it more than about being practical. lol.
I have f150 with 6.2 and 9300 towing capacity so plenty of truck just not sure about being oversize and handling with single vs dually. My 24'glass boat weighs almost as much if not more when loaded and it trailers just fine. Trailer dealers with inventory and competitive pricing? Thanks, Paul
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: looking for trailer/info for 1970 28'

Post by barkleydave »

Are you planning on bunking it to work on it?
You need to consider:

Max. transport height is 13 ft. 6 inch
Width: Over 8 ft 6 inch requires permit

Legal trailer with brakes expensive.

You may want to consider having a transport company move boat to your new location.

Just a though.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Va7thson
New poster

Post by Va7thson »

I did look into transport and it too is costly and after just a cpl moves I’m just about into the price of a trailer. I’m aware of requiring permits however not sure of total height once sitting on legal trailer. I’m looking at aluminum 28-30 10,000# 3 axel with breaks on all axels as req. Do you know if the express would exceed legal height? I’m going to go look at it this week and try and convince myself to give it away or scrap but just hate to send such a classic to its grave. FYI this boat is is your neck of the woods sitting on a lot trailer now. I’ve not seen it in several years and guessing it has water in it. I will do a total restoration if I bring to VA or maybe just hang it between two trees and make it my treehouse on the farm. Lol
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

I used to tow around my 28 express single engine all the time, had a 2016 venture tandem axle trailer, height was around 12' in the trailer. Model was the vatb8725 or 8750?? The only issue I had was the trailer could have been a little longer to get more boat up on the trailer and hence some more tounge weight.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Va7thson
New poster

Post by Va7thson »

Thanks for the responses. I went and moved it this week on its lot trailer about a quarter mile. I don’t think height will be an issue as it’s under 12’ on current lot trailer. I could not convince myself to scrap it and so I will pull the trigger and pay the money for a new trailer and haul it home to VA. This boat belonged to my deceased father and he just loved Marinette boats and I was sold on them in the early 80,s when I worked on his first Matinette houseboat. As with so loves in life it’s time to open the wallet and let the passion and Justification begin and bring it back to life. Not the best investment Or decision in my life and many will question my wisdom. Lol. I Guess the Apple didn’t fall far from the tree.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Good luck with the project. It'll be significant (big) , of course.And you will spend. A lot. But in the end you'll have your boat your way at a vastly lower cost than buying one in the Big Bucks Boat Store. ope it goes smoothly. No rush
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

There is a 38' tri-axle trailer for sale on Craigslist, boats for sale, Cincinnati for 4 0000. States new tires and fully adjustable.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Va7thson
New poster

Post by Va7thson »

Thanks bill, it’s a goose neck 5th wheel and would need to purchase new vehicle as well and already getting the look from the wife. Lol
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

I towed a 26' M with my F150 on a dual axle steel trailer over 100 miles on the highway and 2 lane back roads. It cleared low hanging wires. I think the trailer weighed more than the boat. I didn't get any permits. It was smooth towing. I would look into the difference of a dual axle vs a tri axle.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Once upon a time, I borrowed a trailer from an experienced boater at our marina. He was a former long haul trucker and showed me how to figure out if we were over height without measuring: We parked next to a tractor trailer and discovered the boat had at least a foot less air draft than the trailer.

However, if I was going to haul a considerable distance and/or use the trailer to launch and retrieve the boat, I'd want to do the modifications to make it fit my boat. Is there anyone with a 28 M in your area who has a trailer you can borrow/rent? There may even be a boatyard with one of those fancy hydraulic trailers that will help you for a sum that might be less than a full fledged hauler.

Remember your boat is over width in every state I know of so you'll need a permit.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio