Stantions and railing mods

EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Stantions and railing mods

Post by EWRice »

I am just starting my cosmetic repairs on the 72 express. I am looking for a few spare rectangular aluminum stantion bases for the railing around the stern and flying bridge.

I am also curious to hear from those that have an opening in the railing at the transom. I want to cut a section out between the two port stantions at the transom but I am worried that the railing will loose its rigidity. For those that have this opening, is the railing still rigid? Does the door being latched make a big difference? Any help would be appreciated.
E
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
JoeGer
Tin star

Re: Stantions and railing mods

Post by JoeGer »

Using a simple hack-saw, I have cut the aluminum 'railing' between the 2 stanchions allowing me and the kids to enter the rear of the boat from the swim ladder more easily. the railing is hollow, so I used a router to craft an oblong wooden dowel into the open ends of the rail, a little gorilla glue or caulk to secure it, then sand & paint. I still have to decide how to bridge the gap. The railing is surprisingly sturdy. I will have to monitor it more after a full summer of use. Good luck.
Attachments
stanchion.png
Last edited by JoeGer on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

What you did is exactly what I was planning on doing. I plan on welding a plug in the cut ends and installing a hinge to flip the railing up onto itself. Are your stantions aluminum or stainless?
Muskegon Lake
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

I had a similar idea, and it looked really nice for a week, but I made the mistake of purchasing cheaper stainless hinges. My daughter went to open it (the wrong way) and it bent the hinge, the railing came off, and ended up at the bottom of the marina :-(. All is well though -it was a mistake I can afford -in the safety of my marina on a non-moving vessel.. had it happened while underway, I could have had a dangerous accident. Lesson... spare no expense to secure and support the railing when it’s in the closed position for safety reasons.
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

My '78 28 express had an opening in the transom rail, directly in the center. The opening had a chain to close it up, just like the openings to the cockpit on the port and starboard sides.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

I decided to go ahead and cut out the section on the port side. I will mill out the new caps before I weld them in for extra heavy hinges. I will take some pictures as I go. I am still looking for the rectangle stanion bases if anybody has any. I am also looking for a few of the angled round aluminum stantion bases for the bow rails. All of the chrome ones on my boat are cracked. The original aluminum ones are fine.
Muskegon Lake
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

If you could post a pic of the stands you need, I might have the right ones. I have some off approx. 1975/76. .
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Aren't stanchion bases standard items at a marine supply house such as West Marine, etc??
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Not all aftermarket bases have the same hole pattern on the round ones.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

I am replacing my flybridge railing with stainless, so I would have your rectangular bases. I do not have any of the round ones.

Steve
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan